American Red Cross Lifeguarding and Water Safety Instructor courses are offered by the City of Reno in the Fall, Winter, and Spring by certified instructors. Participants may enroll in Lifeguarding courses beginning at 15 years old, and 16 years old for enrollment in Water Safety Instructor. Once certified, participants 16 years of age and older are eligible to work in City of Reno aquatic centers, or participants may take their certification to any aquatics facility that recognizes American Red Cross certifications.
The City of Reno offers Lifeguarding classes at a reduced rate for any participant who applies to be a City of Reno Lifeguard prior to the start of the class.
City of Reno Lifeguarding classes provide participants the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to emergencies in aquatics environments and to provide care for breathing and cardiac emergencies, injuries, and sudden illnesses until EMS personnel take over.
Participants must attend all classes within the selected session.
- Minimum age: 15 years
- Swim 300 yards continuously
- Tread water for 2 minutes using only the legs
- Complete a timed event within 1 minute, 40 seconds:
- 20 yard swim
- Surface dive to a depth of 10 feet to retrieve a 10-pound object
- Return to the surface and swim on the back to return to the starting point
- Exit the water without using a ladder or steps
2925 Apollo Way, Reno, NV 89503
- $77.50 Blended Learning (Combines online lecture and in-class training)
- GREAT DISCOUNT! Join our team and become a City of Reno lifeguard! Class fee reduces to only $38!
Upcoming Session Dates:
|Session 2**||Session 3*||Session 4||Session 5||Session 6|
|Days of the week||Mon-Fri||Mon-Fri||Mon/Wed/Fri||Sat/Sun||Mon-Fri|
|Dates||March 16-20||March 23-27||April 6-24||April 24- May 10||May 18-22|
** WCSD and UNR Spring Break *WCSD Spring Break
Course registration open until classes filled.
The City of Reno offers year round training opportunities for those seeking employment as a City of Reno Lifeguard. Contact KazL@Reno.gov for hiring and class information.