Smarter Region is an exciting new initiative aimed at improving economic development in the Reno-Sparks Metropolitan Statistical Area (MSA). Smarter Region is based on the five recommendations of the IBM Smarter Cities Challenge grant that the City of Reno received in April 2013.
Starting in August 2013, the leadership of ten prominent regional agencies in the MSA – public and private – came together for the first time to examine how to break out of their silos and work cooperatively to attract industries, grow jobs, nurture entrepreneurs, and improve workforce development. This high-level forum for candid cross-sector communication and decision-making allows for more effective collaboration and sharing of resources.
The entities which are collaborating on Smarter Region include, in alphabetical order:
- The Chamber
- The City of Reno
- The City of Sparks
- Desert Research Institute
- The Economic Development Authority of Western Nevada
- The Governor’s Office of Economic Development
- The Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority
- Truckee Meadows Community College
- Truckee Meadows Regional Planning Agency
- The University of Nevada
- Washoe County
- Washoe County School District