COVID-19 Updates

Please pay attention to our COVID-19 web page, our social media, emails and other credible sources of news for the most recent updates and information.

View from street of businesses with shopping and dining area located in Midtown Reno
Patio area with tables and chairs at a local business

Business Licensing Process

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

Apply for a business license online or visit City Hall to pick up an application.

Items that must accompany a business license
Items that must be obtained before business commences and the license is issued
Multi-jurisdictional process

Contact the following departments or agencies to make sure your business is ready to license before submitting your application to expedite the approval process:

Building Division

Contact the Building Department if you are making any construction changes to the space or changing the use of the previous business (if any) in that location.

Call 775-334-2063 or visit City Hall, 1 East First Street, 2nd Floor for more information.

Fire Department

Contact the Fire Department if your business will be occupied by several people at one time or if your business uses fire/pyrotechnics.

Call 775-334-2300 or visit City Hall, 1 East First Street, 4th Floor for more information.

Environmental Control

Contact Environmental Control if your business might produce hazardous waste that can damage sewer and storm drain systems (i.e. auto repair, manufacturing, restaurant, painting).

Watch an informational video about environmental control.

Call 775-334-2350 or visit City Hall, 1 East First Street, 7th Floor for more information.

Washoe County Health Department

Contact Washoe County Health Department if you are going to be serving or selling food to the public.

Call 775-328-2434 or visit 1001 E. 9th Street, Reno, NV for more information.

Planning Division

Planning review is required for every business license application with a physical address in Reno. The Planning Division will review the address provided to ensure that your business description meets zoning code requirements for that location.

Certain uses may require a Special Use Permit, subject to review and approval by the City Planning Commission.

Call 775-321-8309 for more information

City Council

Council review is required for business whose activities include gaming, liquor, medical marijuana, pawnbroker, secondhand merchandise, escort services, and interactive cabarets.

After you receive all of the necessary approvals and pays the required fees, the business license will be issued.  

  • A minimum of four weeks should be allowed for a non-regulatory license.
  • A minimum of sixty days should be allowed for regulatory-privilege businesses requiring police and City Council approval.
  • All accounts with the City must be kept current.
For more information, please see the Nevada Revised Statutes and Reno Municipal Code websites.