The City of Reno and Volunteers of America (VOA) are proud to present Reno Works, an innovative twelve-week work program designed to uniquely address unemployment and homelessness in our community. Reno Works identifies and recruits twelve individuals residing in the VOA shelters to provide life skills and education, full-time employment assistance, and intensive case management support.
How the Program Works
- Eligible clients residing in the shelter are identified for the program by their case manger.Clients apply for the program and go through an interview process.
- Reno Works crews work directly with the City of Reno Public Works and Parks, Recreation and Community Services Departments to facilitate cleanup projects and complete maintenance work along the Truckee River, in downtown, and in parks and other City facilities.
- On the days they aren’t working, clients go through a series of comprehensive workshops designed to tackle the many issues that contribute to their homelessness.This includes resume building, employability skills training, life skills classes, financial literacy classes, one-on-one case management, “Getting Ahead” series to address underlying factors in unemployment and homelessness, and actual job searching.
- Upon program completion, graduates receive housing assistance and continuing case management support.
- Program costs for each Reno Works participants during the twelve-week course is approximately $60 per day. Costs to the community for an unsheltered homeless individual is between $150-$500 per day.
- 82 percent of Reno Works participants graduate with steady income vs. 25 percent of shelter clients.
- Most Reno Works participants obtain permanent, full-time employment prior to graduation.
How You Can Help
Make a financial contribution to ensure future sessions
Employ a Reno Works graduate
Donate essential household good for supportive housing
- Sponsor a twelve-week session
- Get to know the Reno Works crew members. Help support their success during and after graduation.
- $60,000 per twelve person class
- Sponsor a scholarship for one, or more, Reno Works candidate.
- $5,000 per person
Tax-deductible donations can be made to Volunteers of America.
- Donate online. Please reference "Reno Works" in all donations.
% Success Rate
Total allocation of City Funds
Private donations to program
Each Reno Works Class cost approx.
Cost per day for each Reno Works client
Cost per day to the community for one unsheltered homeless individual (includes jail, hospital, institutions, social services, fire, police, etc.)
*Impacts as of May 2019