A business license is required in the City of Reno if:
- The business location address is located within the City of Reno
- Any business activity will be physically conducted within City of Reno limits
Prior to applying for a business license, applicants must first obtain the following items:
- Register for Nevada State Business License. You may register online at www.nvsilverflume.gov or in person at 202 North Carson Street, Carson City.
- Register with Nevada Department of Taxation. You may register online at www.nvsilverflume.gov or in person at 4600 Kietzke Lane, Bldg L #235.
- Submit proof of Worker's Compensation Insurance. You may register online at www.nvsilverflume.gov or submit a State Industrial Insurance Affirmation of Compliance included with your business license application packet.
- Register your Fictitious Name (or DBA) with Washoe County Clerk's Office at 1001 E 9th Street, Bldg A, in Reno.
For more information on our business license process, please download our Business Licensing Guide.
You can apply for a business license online or download applications below.
If you are planning to operate a business in a commercial location, or from your home, within the City of Reno, complete and submit the Annual Business License Application.
If you are planning to operate a business with alcohol or gaming, please review the regulations for a Privileged Business License in Reno Municipal Code Chapters 4 and 5.
A Commercial Business License Application and Privileged Business License Application must be returned to the City of Reno Business License Division. The Personal History Statement (with the last two pages notarized), must be turned in along with your paid receipt to:
Reno Police Department
Work Applicant Unit
455 East 2nd Street
Privileged licenses involve varying fees for alcohol, gaming, etc., please call 775-334-2090 to verify what your individual fees would be.
- Download Guide for Privileged Business License Application
- Download Privileged Business License Application
- Download Personal History Statement
Businesses serving alcohol under a Privileged Business License are required to post a sign near the exit informing patrons of the Open Container Law. The City offers this Model Sign to bring your business into compliance with the law.
Nevada Revised Statute 369.630 requires owners or operators of liquor establishments who hire or employ persons to sell or serve alcoholic beverages, or act as security guards at such establishments to complete a State certified Alcohol Awareness Program and hold a valid alcohol education card. For more information contact the Nevada Department of Taxation's Liquor Tax Section at (775) 684-2000.
If you are located outside of the City of Reno, but conducting business inside of the Reno City limits, this is the application for you to fill out and submit. Please note that this application is not applicable for privileged businesses as listed in Chapter 5 of the Reno Municipal Code.
Recreational marijuana establishments include:
- Retail Marijuana Store
- Marijuana Cultivation Facility
- Marijuana Product Manufacturing
- Marijuana Distributor, and
- Marijuana Testing Facility
Applicants must include a copy of the Nevada Department of Taxation (DoT) provisional or issued marijuana license(s) for the establishment when applying with the City of Reno. View the DoT website for additional information or call (775) 687-7594.
Marijuana Establishment License Application and Info
We recommend a Business First Appointment to review the application process.
- Annual Bank License Renewal Form
- Annual Commercial Real Estate License Renewal Form
- Annual Distribution Center | Manufacturing Facility | Warehouse License Renewal Form
- Annual Gross Receipts License Renewal Form
- Annual Hotel License Renewal Form
- Annual Residential Rental License Renewal Form
- Annual Transient Lodging Rental License Renewal Form
- Annual Mobile Home/RV Park License Renewal Form
- Annual Vehicle Transportation License Renewal Form
Fees required with the application for a new business license are based on your first 12 months estimated gross receipts.
For a fee quote, you can call 775-334-2090.