Reno Journeyman and Apprentice Cards
The Law: Journeyman with Certificates/cards are required to work and supervise on-site work within the City of Reno per Title 14 of the Reno Municipal Code (amended in 2018):
- Sec. 14.04.120. - Uniform Plumbing Code.
- Sec. 14.04.120.007. - Certificates required under the Uniform Plumbing Code.
- Sec. 14.04.120.010. - Apprentice plumbing certificate.
- Sec. 14.04.120.020. - Journeyman plumber certificate.
- Sec. 14.04.125. - National Electric Code.
- Sec. 14.04.125.005. - Certificates required under the National Electric Code.
- Sec. 14.04.125.010. - Apprentice electrical certificate.
- Sec. 14.04.125.020. - Journeyman electrician certificate.
Apprentice Electrical and Plumbing Certificates/Cards are also required issued by a State of Nevada or Federally approved apprenticeship program, with journeyman on-site supervising the work, immediately available for inspectors.
ONLY Three Exceptions:
- Contractors working Residential Type V construction with 3 stories or less with a completed Residential Journeyman Compliance Agreement on file,
- Those with reciprocal licenses from another City/County/State/Country have up to 12-months exemption to work within the City limits. Submit electronic photocopy of the reciprocal Journeyman cards and which job sites they are employed at to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Continuing Education Opportunities Through NNICC:
- 2017 NEC Changes by Hunter Technical Services on April 23rd
- Swimming Pools electrical and plumbing inspection points. on April 24th
Journeyman Renewals and Applicants for Journeyman Exams
- Submit your own affidavit of experience or complete the City of Reno Journeyman Electrician Affidavit of Experience (first download it, then type in it, save and submit) and email to email@example.com, or in person.
- Staff will process and provide the candidate an ICC Eligibility Letter with an IC number and instructions to schedule the exam.
- Schedule the test through ICC/Pearson Vue *(including the "IC" eligibility number such as IC1234567.) Computer exam shows test results immediately; a score of 70 passes the open book, timed exam.
- If test is passed, apply to ICC and follow their instructions for the printed card.
- Your Reno Journeyman Certificate will be sent directly to your mailing address by ICC.
CODE / TEST: The open book, Reno Journeyman Electrician Exams are based on the 2017 NEC, which is the current adopted building code.
NEC VERSION COMPARISON MATRIX - Compares various versions of the NEC.
Questions about the City of Reno rules? email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Other questions about the test, your card, certification questions, reinstatement and renewal? Reno, Nevada Contractor/Trades Examination Information Bulletin
CODE/EXAM: The Plumbing Journeyman Exam is based on the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) and is open book. The City and region will be changing to the 2018 UPC as the City of Reno adopted that effective January 1, 2019.
Test Help - Journeyman Plumbing Code Bulletin (NITC).
Other Journeyman Plumber Questions not answered by the bulletin or NITC website? Feel free to go to Contact Us link of the NBOPE.
State of Nevada ELECTRICAL Apprenticeship Programs
- Associated Builders & Contractors Sierra NV Chapter, 240 South Rock Blvd #121, Reno 89502, (775) 358-7888
- Electrical JATC of No. NV #401, 4635 Longley Lane #108, Reno 89502, (775) 358-4301 or Toll Free: (866) 548-7901
- United Electrical Services, Inc. 2551 Precision Dr. Suite A, Minden, NV 89423, P: (775) 782-4303 ext 128, email@example.com
- Associated Builders & Contractors Las Vegas, 5070 South Arville Street, Ste. 6, Las Vegas 89118, (702) 227-0536
- Electrical JATC of No. NV #357, 620 Leigon Way, Las Vegas 89110, (702)459-7949
State of Nevada PLUMBING Apprenticeship Programs
- Plumbing Heating Cooling Contractors of Nevada (PHCC), 271 Supac Avenue, Henderson, NV 89011 (702) 252-0166
- No. Plumbers Local 350 JATC, 1150 Greg Street, Sparks 89431, (775) 359-2229 or Toll Free: (866) 202-2024
- Associated Builders & Contractors Sierra NV Chapter, 240 South Rock #121, Reno 89502, (775) 358-7888
- So. Plumbers Local 525 JATC 750 Leigon Way, Las Vegas 89110 (702) 459-3473
If you are an EMPLOYER interested in starting a Registered Apprenticeship in Nevada, you may email NVapprenticeship@gov.nv.gov or call 702-486-8080 to learn more about Registered Apprenticeships in Nevada.