Reno Journeyman and Apprentice Cards
The Law: Journeyman with Certificates/cards are required to work and supervise on-site work within the City of Reno per Title 14 of the Reno Municipal Code (amended in 2018):
- Sec. 14.04.120. - Uniform Plumbing Code.
- Sec. 14.04.120.007. - Certificates required under the Uniform Plumbing Code.
- Sec. 14.04.120.010. - Apprentice plumbing certificate.
- Sec. 14.04.120.020. - Journeyman plumber certificate.
- Sec. 14.04.125. - National Electric Code.
- Sec. 14.04.125.005. - Certificates required under the National Electric Code.
- Sec. 14.04.125.010. - Apprentice electrical certificate.
- Sec. 14.04.125.020. - Journeyman electrician certificate.
Apprentice Electrical and Plumbing Certificates/Cards are also required issued by a State of Nevada or Federally approved apprenticeship program (also listed at bottom of webpage), with journeyman on-site supervising the work, immediately available for inspectors.
ONLY Three Exceptions:
- Contractors working Residential Type V construction with 3 stories or less with a completed Residential Journeyman Compliance Agreement kept on-site with the Builder, available for City Inspectors,
- Those with reciprocal licenses from another City/County/State/Country have up to 12-months exemption to work within the City limits. Submit electronic photocopy of the reciprocal Journeyman cards, plus which job sites/subdivisions to email@example.com.
Journeyman Renewals and Applicants for Journeyman Exams
- Submit your own affidavit of experience or complete the City of Reno Journeyman Electrician Affidavit of Experience (type in the fillable form, print and sign it) then mail, or bring to 2nd floor or Reno City Hall. The Journeyman Application to the City is free. Do not send any payment information please.
- Staff will process and provide the candidate an ICC Eligibility Letter with an IC number and instructions to schedule the exam.
- Pay the fee and schedule the test through ICC/Pearson Vue *(including the "IC" eligibility number such as IC1234567.) Computer exam shows pass/fail results immediately (open book, timed exam).
- If test is passed, complete the ICC Nevada Journeyman Card form, along with their fee, and follow their instructions.
- Your Reno Journeyman Certificate will be sent directly to your mailing address by ICC.
CODE / TEST: The open book, Reno Journeyman Electrician Exams are based on the 2017 NEC, which is the current adopted building code. NEC VERSION COMPARISON MATRIX - Compares various versions of the NEC.
Renewal questions? Process or Exam Questions? Check out ICC's Assessment portal and the Reno, Nevada Contractor/Trades Examination Information Bulletin for detailed information.
Nevada Reno Journeyman Electrician digital cards (after you have applied and paid ICC):
- Go to ICC's Search for Certified Professionals or .use your email address to access a digital version of your card online at verify.iccsafe.org
- Include the first and last name
CODE/EXAM: The Plumbing Journeyman Exam is based on the 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) and is open book.
- Apply to the Nevada Board of Plumbing Examiners (NBOPE) and include their fee. There is an Application and full exam (in a computer lab or on paper), or a Renewal form and shorter re-certification exam online.
- You will be notified by NBOPE is you qualify to take either exam, along with instructions on how to schedule the exam.
- Once you take the test and pass, you will be sent your journeyman or master journeyman plumber card.
Other Journeyman Plumber Questions not answered by the bulletin or NITC website? Feel free to go to Contact Us link of the NBOPE.
State of Nevada ELECTRICAL Apprenticeship Programs
- Associated Builders & Contractors Sierra NV Chapter, 240 South Rock Blvd #121, Reno 89502, (775) 358-7888
- Electrical JATC of No. NV #401, 4635 Longley Lane #108, Reno 89502, (775) 358-4301 or Toll Free: (866) 548-7901
- United Electrical Services, Inc. 2551 Precision Dr. Suite A, Minden, NV 89423, P: (775) 782-4303 ext 128, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Associated Builders & Contractors Las Vegas, 5070 South Arville Street, Ste. 6, Las Vegas 89118, (702) 227-0536
- Electrical JATC of No. NV #357, 620 Leigon Way, Las Vegas 89110, (702)459-7949
State of Nevada PLUMBING Apprenticeship Programs
- Plumbing Heating Cooling Contractors of Nevada (PHCC), 271 Supac Avenue, Henderson, NV 89011 (702) 252-0166
- No. Plumbers Local 350 JATC, 1150 Greg Street, Sparks 89431, (775) 359-2229 or Toll Free: (866) 202-2024
- Associated Builders & Contractors Sierra NV Chapter, 240 South Rock #121, Reno 89502, (775) 358-7888
- So. Plumbers Local 525 JATC 750 Leigon Way, Las Vegas 89110 (702) 459-3473
If you are an EMPLOYER interested in starting a Registered Apprenticeship in Nevada, you may email NVapprenticeship@gov.nv.gov or call 702-486-8080 to learn more about Registered Apprenticeships in Nevada.