Journeyman with Certificates/Cards are required to work and supervise onsite work within the City of Reno. Please refer to Title 14 of the Reno Municipal Code for additional details on requirements.
Apprentice Electrical and Plumbing Certificates/Cards are required to be issued by a State of Nevada or Federally approved apprenticeship program (listed below), with journeyman on-site supervising the work, immediately available for inspectors.
Three Exceptions to Journeyman & Apprentice Cards:
- Contractors working Residential Type V construction with 3 stories or less with a completed Residential Journeyman Compliance Agreement kept on-site with the Builder, available for City Inspectors;
- Those with reciprocal licenses from another City/County/State/Country have up to 12-months exemption to work within the City limits.
The plumbing journeyman exam is based on the 2018 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) and is open book.
- Apply to the Nevada Board of Plumbing Examiners (NBOPE) and include their fee. There is an application and full exam (in a computer lab or on paper) or a renewal form and shorter re-certification exam online.
- You will be notified by NBOPE if you qualify to take either exam, along with instructions on how to schedule the exam.
- Once you take the test and pass, you will be sent your journeyman or master journeyman plumber card.
For additional questions, contact NBOPE.
The International Code Council (ICC) offers the G17 and G18 electrician exams and can be found on the ICC website catalog.
- The ICC’s G17-Journeyman Electrician or G18-Residential Electrician do not require pre-approval.
- To find the exams, go to the ICC exam catalog and type G17 in "Search by Exam Title" area. Alternatively, in the drop-downs select "Type: Contractor/Trade, State: National/All, and Category Trade: Electrical."
- ESP will still recognize Reno exams with the passing score when applying for Reno ID cards from ESP.
Electrical Safety Professionals (ESP) will produce ID cards.
- After passing the G17 or G18 electrician exam, apply to ESP. You will need to provide a copy of your exam score report when you apply for your ID card.
- Current Reno ID cards issued through the ICC are still valid and recognized with ESP if it was issued from 2017-2020. ID cards are valid for a three-year period.
- If an ID card has expired, it can be renewed within one year of the date of expiration. Obtain the CEUs required for the renewal and submit the application. The regular renewal fee is required in addition to a reinstatement fee. If your ID Card has been expired for more than one year, you must take the exam again and have a passing score to obtain a new card.
- Train and obtain Continuing Education Units (CEUs) to renew cards from any approved providers listed on the ESP website.