Reno Journeyman Electrician and Plumber Cards
Required to work or supervise on-site work within the City of Reno per Ordinance No. 6400, Effective December 1, 2016.
- Contractors working under their Superintendent/Builders' completed Residential Journeyman Compliance Agreement with the City, and
- Out-of-State Journeyman for 1-year reciprocal grace period (sending out of state card proof to (email@example.com).
Superintendent/Builder (Type V construction only) looking to enact the Residential Journeyman Exception for your contractors? - Complete the Compliance Agreement, attach all copies of Journeyman cards to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Journeyman from OUT OF STATE?
Are you from of State and currently working a certain construction job on-site in Reno?
If so, please email email@example.com a copy of a valid out-of-state Journeyman electrician card, or Plumbing card, and we will include you on the list of qualified journeyman within a 1-year grace period. After that, to continue working on-site, you would need to take the Reno Journeyman Exam.
ELECTRICIAN JOURNEYMAN RENEWALS - To renew a Reno Journeyman Electrical certificate, see the ICC Bulletin renewal requirements and complete their ICC renewal application. The ICC Bulletin may also be obtained by visiting www.iccsafe.org/certification-overview, or calling ICC directly 1-888-422-7233 ext. 5524. If your card expired in 2013 or earlier, the grace period ended May 2017 and a new application and exam is required by ICC.
PLUMBER JOURNEYMAN RENEWALS - The Nevada Board of Plumbing Examiners (NBOPE) processes all applications, renewals, and then provides to a third party (the National Inspection Testing Certification or NITC) to perform application approval and testing. First see the NITC's website for the Nevada Board of Plumbing Examiners (NBOPE) Journeyman & Master Plumber testing.
Passing applicants will receive their cards from the NBOPE. (Test is currently based on the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code and is open book). Almost all Plumbing test/questions answered here: Journeyman Plumbing Code Bulletin (NITC).
Other Questions not answered by the bulletin or NITC website? Feel free to contact:
- NBOPE Secretary Derick Stowell, 760 N. Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89110, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 702-224-3021
Journeyman Electrical Applicants:
- Fill out the application for an Electrical Journeyman City of Reno application form, Attached documentation, and pay $10 required fees.
- Once staff approves proof of experience to take the test, you will receive the Letter of verification and a number to schedule the test through ICC.
- Schedule the test at date time through ICC/Pearson Vue. All testing, issuance of certificates, and renewals shall be processed to a mailing address Issued by the International Code Council
EXAMS Journeyman Electrical - Residential and Commercial
- The Electrical Exam is based on the 2011 National Electric Code.
- The test is open book and applicants must provide their own code books.
Apprenticeships and Apprentice Cards Required
Apprentice Electrical and Plumbing Certificates/Cards are also required. Any apprentice shall be an employee of a State of Nevada licensed electrician/Plumber, and shall be under his/her direct supervision, or that of a certified journeyman under like employment. Certificates are issued by a State of Nevada or Federally approved apprenticeship program.
State of Nevada Electrical and Plumbing Apprenticeship Programs:
- Electrical JATC of No. NV #401, 4635 Longley Lane #108, Reno 89502, (775) 358-4301 or Toll Free: (866) 548-7901
- Associated Builders & Contractors Sierra NV Chapter, 240 South Rock Blvd #121, Reno 89502, (775) 358-7888
- Electrical JATC of No. NV #357, 620 Leigon Way, Las Vegas 89110, (702)459-7949
- Associated Builders & Contractors Las Vegas, 5070 South Arville Street, Ste. 6, Las Vegas 89118, (702) 227-0536
- No. Plumbers Local 350 JATC, 1150 Greg Street, Sparks 89431, (775) 359-2229 or Toll Free: (866) 202-2024
- Associated Builders & Contractors Sierra NV Chapter, 240 South Rock #121, Reno 89502, (775) 358-7888
- Plumbers Heating Cooling Contractors (PHCC), 271 Sunpac, Henderson, NV 89011 (702) 252-016
- So. Plumbers Local 525 JATC750 Leigon Way, Las Vegas 89110 (702) 459-3473
Journeyman or Master Plumbers who held NBOPE cards that expired: The Nevada Board of Plumbing Examiners ruled that plumbers in this category renewal grace period expired December 2016.