Reno Journeyman and Apprentice Cards
The Law: Journeyman with Certificates/cards are required to work and supervise on-site work within the City of Reno per Title 14.04.125.
Apprentice Electrical and Plumbing Certificates/Cards are also required issued by a State of Nevada or Federally approved apprenticeship program, with journeyman on-site supervising the work, immediately available for inspectors.
ONLY Three Exceptions: Homeowners, Contractors working Residential Type V construction with 3 stories or less with a completed Residential Journeyman Compliance Agreement on file, and those with reciprocal licenses from another City/County/State/Country for 12-month exemption to work within the City limits who've submitted reciprocal Journeyman cards and which job sites they are employed at to email@example.com.
Journeyman Renewals and Applicants for Journeyman Exams
- Complete the City of Reno Journeyman Electrician Affidavit of Experience and submit by email to firstname.lastname@example.org, or in person.
- Staff will process and provide the candidate an ICC Eligibility to Test letter with an IC number and instructions to schedule the exam.
- Schedule the test through ICC/Pearson Vue *(including the "IC" eligibility number such as IC1234567.) Computer exam shows test results immediately; a score of 70 passes the open book, timed exam.
- Your Reno Journeyman Certificate will be sent directly to your mailing address by the testing vendors.
CODE / TEST: The Journeyman Electrician Exams are based on the 2011 National Electric Code (NEC) which is the current code. The City and region will be changing to the 2017 NEC effective January 1, 2019. OTHER- If your card expired in 2013 or earlier, the grace period ended May 2017 and a new exam is required by ICC.
Test Help - See the Reno, Nevada Contractor/Trades Examination Information Bulletin.
Other questions not answered by the bulletin, email email@example.com.
- Apply through the Nevada Board of Plumbing Examiners (NBOPE) Journeyman & Master Plumber testing which processes all applications, renewals.
- A third party (the National Inspection Testing Certification or NITC) approves applications and testing.
- Passing applicants will receive their cards from the NBOPE. OTHER- The renewal grace period expired December 2016.
CODE/EXAM: The Plumbing Journeyman Exam is based on the 2012 Uniform Plumbing Code (UPC) and is open book. The City and region will be changing to the 2018 UPC effective January 1, 2019.
Test Help - Journeyman Plumbing Code Bulletin (NITC).
Other Journeyman Plumber Questions not answered by the bulletin or NITC website? Feel free to contact: NBOPE Secretary Derick Stowell, 760 N. Lamb Blvd, Las Vegas, NV 89110, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone 702-224-3021
State of Nevada ELECTRICAL Apprenticeship Programs
- Associated Builders & Contractors Sierra NV Chapter, 240 South Rock Blvd #121, Reno 89502, (775) 358-7888
- Electrical JATC of No. NV #401, 4635 Longley Lane #108, Reno 89502, (775) 358-4301 or Toll Free: (866) 548-7901
- United Electrical Services, Inc. 2551 Precision Dr. Suite A, Minden, NV 89423, P: (775) 782-4303 ext 128, email@example.com
- Associated Builders & Contractors Las Vegas, 5070 South Arville Street, Ste. 6, Las Vegas 89118, (702) 227-0536
- Electrical JATC of No. NV #357, 620 Leigon Way, Las Vegas 89110, (702)459-7949
State of Nevada PLUMBING Apprenticeship Programs
- Plumbing Heating Cooling Contractors of Nevada (PHCC), 271 Supac Avenue, Henderson, NV 89011 (702) 252-0166
- No. Plumbers Local 350 JATC, 1150 Greg Street, Sparks 89431, (775) 359-2229 or Toll Free: (866) 202-2024
- Associated Builders & Contractors Sierra NV Chapter, 240 South Rock #121, Reno 89502, (775) 358-7888
- So. Plumbers Local 525 JATC750 Leigon Way, Las Vegas 89110 (702) 459-3473
If you are an EMPLOYER interested in starting a Registered Apprenticeship in Nevada, please go to the OWINN’s homepage to learn more about starting a program. You may also email NVapprenticeship@gov.nv.gov or call 702-486-8080 to learn more about Registered Apprenticeships in Nevada.