Seniors Helping Seniors!
Photo: The Senior Citizen Advisory Committee marches in the 2015 Reno Veterans Day Parade.
Photo provided by Donna Clontz
Photo: Senior Flash Mob under the Reno Arch. July 24, 2014.
Photo by Alex Moreno
The purpose of the Senior Citizen Advisory Committee (SCAC) is to advise the City Council on matters relating to senior citizens, to promote and support senior-oriented special events and collaborative efforts that meet the needs of seniors, and to serve as an advocacy body on behalf of older adults in the community.
Members and MeetingsThe Committee consists of the Committee Chairperson and a maximum of eight (8) other members who are appointed by the Reno City Council, along with an ex-officio from the Washoe County Senior Services. The meetings usually take place on the 2nd Tuesday of every month (unless there is a government holiday) and approximately last 1.5 hours.
- Identify concerns, problems, and needs of seniors in local neighborhoods
- Establish program priorities within context of available resources
- Provide long-range program direction for comprehensive senior programs
- Help identify local resources to enhance or expand senior programs
The committee supports a variety of projects through advocacy, requests for special funding and member involvement. The Committee encourages applications for co-sponsorship by the Reno Senior Citizen Advisory Committee. For more information on how to apply, please contact Brad Fitch, Senior Citizen Advisory Committee Liaison, at 775-689-8459. Please review the following links (Please note, in order to request for funding, you must provide evidence that your organizandyation is a non-profit 501(c)3 and note that the funding given must ONLY GO TOWARDS HELPING SENIORS LIVING IN THE CITY OF RENO.
A few of the Committee's past projects include the following:
- Senior Fest
- Reno/Tahoe Senior Summer and Winter Games
- City of Reno- various senior activities
- Soap for Hope
- Center for Healthy Aging
- Older American's Month
- Sanford Center for Aging/Senior Outreach Services
- Nevada SHIP- State Health Insurance Assistance Program
- Alzheimer's Association
- Honor Flight
- Wandering Project in Washoe County, NV
- Compassion Community Clinic
For questions about meeting times and locations, please contact Brad Fitch, Senior Citizen Advisory Committee Liaison, at 775-689-8459.