The purpose of the Senior Citizen Advisory Committee (SCAC) is to advise the City Council on matters relating to senior citizens, to promote and support senior-oriented special events and collaborative efforts that meet the needs of seniors, and to serve as an advocacy body on behalf of older adults in the community.
Photo: SeniorFest 2019
Members and Meetings
The Committee consists of the Committee Chairperson and a maximum of eight (8) other members who are appointed by the Reno City Council, along with an ex-officio from the Washoe County Senior Services and a representative from the City of Sparks.The meetings usually take place on the 2nd Tuesday of every month (unless there is a government holiday).
- Identify concerns, problems, and needs of seniors in local neighborhoods
- Establish program priorities within context of available resources
- Provide long-range program direction for comprehensive senior programs
- Help identify local resources to enhance or expand senior programs
The committee supports a variety of projects through advocacy, requests for special funding and member involvement. The Committee encourages applications for co-sponsorship by the Reno Senior Citizen Advisory Committee. For more information on how to apply, please contact Brad Fitch, Senior Citizen Advisory Committee Liaison, at 775-689-8459. Please review the following links (Please note, in order to request for funding, you must provide evidence that your organizandyation is a non-profit 501(c)3 and note that the funding given must ONLY GO TOWARDS HELPING SENIORS LIVING IN THE CITY OF RENO.
A few of the Committee's past projects include the following:
- Senior Fest
- Reno/Tahoe Senior Summer and Winter Games
- City of Reno- various senior activities
- Soap for Hope
- Center for Healthy Aging
- Older American's Month
- Sanford Center for Aging/Senior Outreach Services
- Nevada SHIP- State Health Insurance Assistance Program
- Alzheimer's Association
- Honor Flight
- Wandering Project in Washoe County, NV
- Compassion Community Clinic
For questions about meeting times and locations, please contact Brad Fitch, Senior Citizen Advisory Committee Liaison, at 775-689-8459.