The City of Reno in partnership with the Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) of Washoe County, NV and multiple community partners will develop a large-scale public art project in the Midtown District of Reno that reflects the vibrancy and community of one of Reno’s emerging cultural districts in conjunction with a street reorientation project led by RTC. RTC is planning a multimodal improvement project in Midtown which will include pedestrian improvements, incorporation of historic and cultural characteristics, and bus stop improvements. To learn more about RTC's project, visit their website.
Update: We currently have a call out for artists. For more information please visit our call for artists page.
Why Public Art?
We believe public art:
- Promotes community character and values
- Inspires connection to place
- Celebrates a unique environment and cultural heritage
- Fosters social interaction and creates memorable experiences
- Invites pedestrian activity and inspires a healthy, connected community
- Creates focal points that can become destination drivers
- Revitalizes deteriorated or underutilized spaces, increases safety, and inspires redevelopment
- Inspires community participation in the creative design of civic space
The initial phase of the project is to conduct public outreach. This will give affected citizens an opportunity to voice their ideas as well as to shape the process of choosing an artist to work with the community.
We want to know what you think. Please fill out our survey and stay tuned for other opportunities to give input and work with an artist on this project.