City of Reno Veterans Day Parade November, 11 2018
- Groups submit an application (Final Due Date: Friday, October 12, 2018)
- All applications are reviewed by the Parade Committee (on a rolling basis)
- Accepted groups are sent confirmation materials, which must be completed and returned to the Parade Committee (Acceptance notices and confirmation materials will be sent out starting Monday, October 29)
Confirmed groups receive final assembly information and other details (1-2 weeks prior to the parade - by October 29)
IMPORTANT! Due to the increased size of the parade and security/safety requirements, all groups must submit an application, regardless of past participation. Please apply as soon as possible BELOW.
PURPOSE: The sole purpose of the City of Reno Veterans Day Parade is to honor the service of our Veterans and to salute our currently serving military. It is a non-partisan, non-political event, and may not be used as a platform for any other purpose or political agenda. Any individual or group that attempts to use the Parade as a forum for this purpose will be denied participation, and will forfeit any expenses incurred. If you have questions on this policy please contact our office.
THEME: 2018 marks the Centennial Commemoration of the end of World War I on November 11, 1918. The theme for the 2018 Veterans Day Reno Parade is: “The Great War” honoring the first Reno citizen to perish in WWI Private First Class Darrell Melville Dunkle.
GRAND MARSHALL: Brigadier General Ondra Berry - Commander of the Nevada Air Guard.
- Recognized and reputable U.S. military veterans groups, non-profit organizations serving veterans, and JROTC units are invited to apply for the parade. There is no fee for participation.
- Military units and ROTC units are warmly invited; please contact our office to coordinate your participation with the appropriate higher command. There is no fee for participation.
- All other applicants (veterans of allied nations, youth/civic groups, businesses, etc.) will be evaluated based on their service to our veterans community, their record of past participation and other factors. There is no fee for participation.
- Individual veterans may apply independently; they may request to join specific groups, or they may be placed in the Line of March based on their era of service or service branch. Please contact our office for more information. There is no fee for participation.
- All accepted groups (and independent participants) must sign the required waivers. In some cases, groups may be asked to provide additional proof of insurance (e.g. groups with oversize vehicles or animals).
DATE/TIME: The parade will take place Sunday, November 11, 2018 (Veterans Day!), rain or shine. It will start at approximately 11:30 AM (at the conclusion of the Opening Ceremony) and end between 2:00pm and 3:00pm.
ROUTE: The parade goes north on Virginia Street from 2nd Street to 5th Street.
OPENING CEREMONY: The parade is preceded by our traditional opening ceremony at the Virginia Street Bridge, south of 1st Street and Virginia Street. The ceremony begins at 11:11 AM (The 11th hour of the 11th day of the 11th month) with a fly by and concludes with a wreath toss at 11:30 AM.
ASSEMBLY: On the morning of the parade, groups will assemble at the Washoe County Parking Lot (located on Virginia between Liberty and Court Streets). Exact locations/times will be sent to accepted and confirmed groups.
VIEWING THE PARADE: Spectators (especially family & friends of participants) are encouraged to gather to show their support along the parade route (see above).
LINE OF MARCH: Accepted and confirmed groups will be informed of their position in the Line of March (order of the parade) in the weeks prior to the parade.
ELDERLY & DISABLED PARTICIPANTS: We encourage our elder and disabled veterans to join us! Please contact our office for information on parking and accommodations.
VEHICLES: Our vehicle policy is intended to ensure the safety, security and smooth running of the Parade. All vehicles must be able to provide proof of registration and insurance upon request, and all drivers must be legally licensed for the class of vehicle they will be driving.All vehicles must be able to arrive at and depart the Parade area without assistance, and must be able complete the parade route (including waiting times) safely and cleanly. All vehicles should be clean and of historic/decorative value (or should be appropriately decorated). Photos may be requested.Groups with vintage or decorative vehicles (military or civilian) may be asked to transport elderly or disabled veterans up the parade route. All other details regarding exact assembly areas & times, parking, drop-off/pick-up, will be sent to accepted and confirmed groups prior to the parade. Apply today to secure your place!
The application form for the Veterans Day Parade is now available! Apply today BELOW: