City of Reno Call for Artists
Invitation to Artists - RSCVA Signal Box
ELIGIBILITY: The Project is OPEN to artists in a regional area encompassing Nevada and Northern California with experience in public art projects.
A public art project which creates new artwork for public display within the City of Reno utilizing selected signal box in front of the Reno-Sparks Convention & Visitors Authority office at 4001 S. Virginia St. Goals of this project include: transforming utilitarian structure into an art form; increasing public awareness of art; broadening viewers' perspectives of public spaces within the City; fostering a sense of place on Reno's streets; and supporting the RSCVA’s mission of highlighting the activities and events that make Reno special. The theme of the signal box will be related to destination highlights in and around the City of Reno—for example, hiking, the river, Lake Tahoe, festivals and events, etc. The artist(s) selected should have demonstrated experience working in public locations subject to vandalism. Artwork will be selected based on the quality of design and have a 5-year life expectancy. Proposals should include examples of previous work as well as a concept design of the theme described above. Outside murals are subject to the harshest environmental conditions; murals must be painted with high-quality color-fast paint with the proven ability to maintain color-fastness for five-years (see SPECIFICATIONS below). Artists are expected to provide manufacturer specifications on chosen materials with proposal. Materials, colors used, and design will be at the approval of the City of Reno and RSCVA.
SPECIFICATIONS: Selected artist(s) will design and execute one-of-a-kind two dimensional images that wrap around all sides of the selected signal box. Paint specifications as follows: Base coat (exterior white paint—Kilz Premium Primer Interior/Exterior); Main coat (Chroma Acrylic Mural Paint, Golden Heavy Body Artist Acrylics, Liquitex Heavy Body Acrylics, Rust-Oleum Professional Rust Resistant Enamel Spray Paint); Top coat/sealant (Rust-oleum clear coat spray paint gloss, Rust-Oleum Ultra Cover Gloss Clear).
LOCATION: 4001 S. Virginia St, Reno, NV.
Project Budget is $500, to cover materials and the artist fee.
- Current resume detailing professional artistic accomplishments and references from past public art projects, including awards if applicable. Documents must be labeled with artist's last name and resume, sent as a word doc or google doc (ex: LastName_Resume.doc)
- Digital images of relevant art work (min. 3, max. 5). Images must be labeled with artist’s last name, numbered according to slide list and sized at 72 DPI, 1000 pixels on the longest side, in JPG format. (ex: LastName01.jpg)
- Image List - image number, title, media, size, date, location, description of work, including awards if applicable.
- Project Approach: articulate design concept, anticipated maintenance requirements, and choice of materials (including manufacturer specifications). Limited to one page, type written, artist’s name, phone and return address. Documents must be labeled with artist's last name and sent as a word doc or google doc (ex: LastName_ProjectApproach.doc)
- Visual representation of project proposal (following the mural theme described above). Images must be labeled with artist's last name and project proposal in JPG format (ex: LastName_ProjectProposal.doc)
Submissions must be received by December 15, 2017
EMAIL SUBMISSIONS TO: email@example.com
Washoe County Art Trail: Call for Artists/Proposals
WHO: Burning Man Project and Washoe County
APPLICATION OPENING: October 17, 2017
DEADLINE: Monday, December 18, 2017
BUDGET: $60,000 – $100,000
Public Art Proposals
Due to the number of current requests for placing public art or looking at proposals from artists and arts groups, the Arts & Culture Commission is working on formalizing a submission process. This process will streamline the way we review these types of proposals and ensure each project is properly considered. During this time, we are not accepting any new proposals. Please check back for updates and fill out our Artist Registry form below to be notified of upcoming Calls for Artists and opportunities.
Are you an artist looking for public art or gallery opportunities? Fill out the form below to be considered for future projects and be informed on new artist opportunities!