May 19, 2020 update regarding COVID-19 (novel coronavirus)
29 new cases, 17 recoveries of COVID-19
The Regional Information Center is reporting 29 new cases of COVID-19 in Washoe County, and 17 recoveries.
- Total COVID-19 cases in Washoe County: 1,295 (+29 from 5/18)
- Deaths: 48 (+0)
- Recoveries: 689 (+17)
- Active cases: 558 (+12)
- Currently hospitalized: 55 (+1)
- Cases who have discharged from hospital: 108 (+1)
The increase in positive cases is significant and indicative of community spread of COVID-19. We can't stress enough the importance of staying at home, social distancing practices and using facial coverings.
View the Washoe County COVID-19 Impact Dashboard.
COVID-19 and underlying health conditions
People with certain underlying health conditions are at higher risk of contracting COVID-19 and are more susceptible to dying from the virus, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The CDC identifies underlying health conditions as:
- People with chronic lung disease or moderate to severe asthma
- People who have serious heart conditions
- People who are immunocompromised
- Many conditions can cause a person to be immunocompromised, including cancer treatment, smoking, bone marrow or organ transplantation, immune deficiencies, poorly controlled HIV or AIDS, and prolonged use of corticosteroids and other immune weakening medications
- People with severe obesity (body mass index [BMI] of 40 or higher)
- People with diabetes
- People with chronic kidney disease undergoing dialysis
- People with liver disease
El Centro de Información Regional de COVID-19 está trabajando para entregar actualizaciones a la comunidad sobre COVID-19 de manera unificada. ACTUALIZACIÓN DEL CENTRO DE INFORMACIÓN – 19 DE MAYO