City Seeks Input on Potential Text Amendment to the Development Agreement Section of the Reno Development Code
Post Date: June 25, 2020
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the City of Reno is providing an additional opportunity to submit comments on the proposed draft ordinance amendment to Reno Municipal Code.
TXT20-00006 (Development Agreement) - A request has been made to amend Reno Municipal Code Title 18, specifically Chapter 18.20 (Development Agreements). This request is associated with the Title 18 Code Update "Renovation" and will propose revised text intended to facilitate the use of voluntary agreements as allowed pursuant to NRS 278.0201 through 278.0207, inclusive.
The draft Text Amendment under consideration includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Enhanced reference to NRS requirements.
- Removal of regional requirements and discretionary permits (PRS, SUP, PUD, and SPD requirements).
- Removal of text that is redundant of NRS requirements.
In an effort to protect public health, we are asking that all comments be submitted in writing, in lieu of a public workshop, to the Planning Division at firstname.lastname@example.org or via US Postal Service to the City of Reno, Planning Division, P.O. Box 1900, Reno, NV, 89505 by 5 p.m. on July 15, 2020.
Community Development News
Community Development Implements New Procedures for Customers in Response to COVID-19
The Community Development Department is adjusting its processes and procedures in response to COVID-19. The changes allow business operations to continue for customers without requiring face-to-face interactions. Please see below for information on how these changes may impact you if you normally do business with the Community Development Department. This page may be updated as the situation changes.
Submitting Building Plans and Permits, Business Licenses Applications, and Planning/Engineering Applications
Customers are encouraged to complete as many transactions as possible online. Use the following links to help you complete your requests online:
While online transactions are highly encouraged, it is recognized that some applications cannot be submitted electronically and some customers may still be making requests via paper. If you are unable to complete your request online, the following procedures have been established:
Several drop-off and pick-up stations have been set up in the 2nd floor lobby area of Reno City Hall. The stations are for:
- Planning/Mapping Cases (for applications that are listed on this page)
- Business License Applications
- Building Permits and Plans - There are different drop-off baskets for:
- New Permits
- Plan Revisions (see additional details below on revisions)*
- Single-Family Repeats
- EZ Permits
- Approved Plans/Ready for Pick Up*
*If you are submitting plan revisions or picking up approved plans, this requires advance coordination with Community Development staff. Please call 775-334-2063 or email Permits@Reno.Gov to make arrangements.
When you arrive at City Hall:
- Find the appropriate station for your request.
- Complete the sign-in sheet on the station’s table and follow other posted instructions.
- Drop off appropriate documents in the identified area. Do not leave any form of payment in the drop-off boxes.
- Staff will follow up with you directly to complete your request.
Revisions to Building Plans
Plans submitted electronically can be revised electronically as well.
If you need to revise plans that have been submitted on paper, the following procedures have been established:
- Customers should contact Permits@Reno.Gov or 775-334-2063 in advance to set up a time to drop off revisions.
- Place new revision sheets and the completed corrections with a cover letter and customer contact info on the revision table on the 2nd floor of Reno City Hall. Please make sure to follow the posted instructions at City Hall.
- City staff will review the revisions and verify the original comment letter has addressed all corrections.
- City staff will “slip sheet” revision plans in a timely manner. Staff will also follow up with you if there are any questions or concerns.
Please note that the sixth floor of Reno City Hall will be closed to the public.
The Community Development team will continue to be available to help you during normal business hours via phone and email. Please use the following to contact us:
- Building Permits and Plans: Permits@Reno.Gov, 775-334-2063
- Business Licenses: Businesslic@Reno.gov, 775-334-2090
- Planning Applications and Planner of the Day: POD@Reno.gov, 775-321-8309
- Engineering: 775-785-5888
If you call one of our customer lines and the call is not answered immediately, we encourage you to send us an email or leave a voicemail. Staff will be checking voicemail messages frequently.
Drop-In with CD
Updated April 24, 2020
The weekly Drop In with CD sessions (typically scheduled on Monday mornings from 8-9 a.m.) have been cancelled. If you have questions or need assistance with your application or permit during this time, please contact the Planner of the Day at POD@Reno.Gov or 775-321-8309 or the Building and Safety Division at Permits@Reno.Gov or 775-334-2063.
Updated April 24, 2020
All pre-application meetings will be held virtually. Please continue to request pre-application meetings using the online form. Staff will follow up with you to confirm the meeting schedule and provide login details.
Updated April 22, 2020
Due to Governor Sisolak's executive orders related to the public health emergency, public meetings will be held via teleconference. Applicants preparing for a public hearing will be provided specific instructions when the item is confirmed on an agenda. Below are ways to submit public comment for Planning Commission and City Council items:
- Submit comments through the Planning Commission online public comment form;
- Email RenoPlanningCommission@reno.gov;
- Leave a voicemail at (775) 393-1776 (Please note, calls will not be returned from this line. Messages will either be broadcast into the Council Chamber during the meeting or transcribed for entry into the record.); or
- Send written comments to the City of Reno Planning Division, Attn. Angela Fuss, P.O. Box 1900 Reno, NV 89505.
Comments received by 6:00 p.m. on the day prior to the hearing will be entered into the record. Please note, all comments received are considered part of the public record and will be on file with the Community Development Department.
- Submit comments through the City Council online public comment form;
- Email email@example.com; or
- Leave a voicemail at (775) 393-4499.
Messages received prior to 4:00 p.m. on the day before the meeting will be transcribed, provided to City Council for review, and entered into the record. During the meeting, members of the public may submit public comment without being physically present via the online public comment form. Public comment received during the meeting will be provided to City Council for review prior to adjournment, and entered into the record.
Changes to the public hearing process may adjust during the course of the public health emergency. Individuals should review information on each agenda for the most up-to-date information.
Business Closures and Operating Requirements
Updated April 22, 2020
- Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak and his administration took actions starting on March 17, 2020 with regard to the operations of essential and non-essential businesses. The Regional COVID-19 Business Operations Guide summarizes operational restrictions and mandatory closures for certain types of businesses during this public health emergency.
- The City of Reno is offering several options to provide economic relief to Reno business licensees impacted by the COVID-19 public health emergency. The program offers payment extensions and fee reductions to eligible businesses. Check out Reno.Gov/BusinessLicense to see if your business is eligible and apply for the program.
- Check out Reno.Gov/COVID19 for additional resources and support programs for businesses.