The Community Development Department is responsible for the physical development of the City. The core service areas of the department include: housing and neighborhood development, planning, engineering, building and safety inspections, and business licensing.
Electronic Building Permit Submissions
We are now accepting electronic submittal of building permit applications and plans.
Community Development News
Community Development Implements New Procedures for Customers in Response to COVID-19
The Community Development Department is adjusting its processes and procedures in response to COVID-19. The changes allow business operations to continue for customers without requiring face-to-face interactions. Please see below for information on how these changes may impact you if you normally do business with the Community Development Department. This page may be updated as the situation changes.
Submitting Building Plans and Permits, Business Licenses Applications, and Planning/Engineering Applications
Customers are encouraged to complete as many transactions as possible online. Use the following links to help you complete your requests online:
While online transactions are highly encouraged, it is recognized that some applications cannot be submitted electronically and some customers may still be making requests via paper. If you are unable to complete your request online, the following procedures have been established:
Several drop-off and pick-up stations have been set up in the 2nd floor lobby area of Reno City Hall. The stations are for:
- Planning/Mapping Cases (for applications that are listed on this page)
- Business License Applications
- Building Permits and Plans - There are different drop-off baskets for:
- New Permits
- Plan Revisions (see additional details below on revisions)*
- Single-Family Repeats
- EZ Permits
- Approved Plans/Ready for Pick Up*
*If you are submitting plan revisions or picking up approved plans, this requires advance coordination with Community Development staff. Please call 775-334-2063 or email Permits@Reno.Gov to make arrangements.
When you arrive at City Hall:
- Find the appropriate station for your request.
- Complete the sign-in sheet on the station’s table and follow other posted instructions.
- Drop off appropriate documents in the identified area. Do not leave any form of payment in the drop-off boxes.
- Staff will follow up with you directly to complete your request.
Revisions to Building Plans
Plans submitted electronically can be revised electronically as well.
If you need to revise plans that have been submitted on paper, the following procedures have been established:
- Customers should contact Permits@Reno.Gov or 775-334-2063 in advance to set up a time to drop off revisions.
- Place new revision sheets and the completed corrections with a cover letter and customer contact info on the revision table on the 2nd floor of Reno City Hall. Please make sure to follow the posted instructions at City Hall.
- City staff will review the revisions and verify the original comment letter has addressed all corrections.
- City staff will “slip sheet” revision plans in a timely manner. Staff will also follow up with you if there are any questions or concerns.
Please note that the sixth floor of Reno City Hall will be closed to the public.
The Community Development team will continue to be available to help you during normal business hours via phone and email. Please use the following to contact us:
- Building Permits and Plans: Permits@Reno.Gov, 775-334-2063
- Business Licenses: Businesslic@Reno.gov, 775-334-2090
- Planning Applications and Planner of the Day: POD@Reno.gov, 775-321-8309
- Engineering: 775-785-5888
If you call one of our customer lines and the call is not answered immediately, we encourage you to send us an email or leave a voicemail. Staff will be checking voicemail messages frequently.
Drop-In with CD
The weekly Drop In with CD sessions (typically scheduled on Monday mornings from 8-9 a.m.) have been cancelled through at least April 2020. If you have questions or need assistance with your application or permit during this time, please contact the Planner of the Day at POD@Reno.Gov or 775-321-8309 or the Building and Safety Division at Permits@Reno.Gov or 775-334-2063. The plan to resume Drop in with CD in May 2020 will be reviewed and updated as the COVID-19 situation is monitored.
All pre-application meetings through at least April 2020 will be held virtually. Please continue to request pre-application meetings using the online form. Staff will follow up with you to confirm the meeting schedule and provide login details.
Public hearings at City Council and Planning Commission meetings may be cancelled or conducted virtually. Additional information will be provided as soon as it is available.
- April 1, 2020 Planning Commission meeting is cancelled.
Business Closures and Operating Requirements
- Nevada Governor Steve Sisolak and his administration took actions starting on March 17, 2020 with regard to the operations of essential and non-essential businesses. The Regional COVID-19 Business Operations Guide summarizes operational restrictions and mandatory closures for certain types of businesses during this public health emergency.
- In an effort to provide relief for businesses affected by the business restrictions related to COVID-19, the City of Reno is extending the time for businesses to pay their license fees. The deadline for any business license fees due between March 27, 2020 and April 30, 2020 may be extended 30 days. Any other business that has been unable to pay fees due to the COVID-19 state of emergency may request an extension on a case by case basis. If you have questions, please call 775-334-2090 or email email@example.com. Due to high call volume, please leave a voicemail and a staff member will call you back as soon as possible.
- Check out Reno.Gov/COVID19 for additional resources and support programs for businesses