City of Reno hosts inaugural Winter Light Festival
The City of Reno is getting into the holiday spirit this year by hosting its inaugural Reno Winter Light Festival from December 7-14, 2019. The weeklong series of holiday events will offer the community a number of free family-friendly options:
Saturday, December 7, 2019:
- Holiday Market on the City Plaza, noon to 7 p.m. Craft Faire with food and beverage vendors, presented by Wandering Wyld.
- Santa on the City Plaza, 3 to 7 p.m. Photos with Santa!
- City of Reno Tree Lighting Ceremony on the City Plaza, 5 p.m. The festivities begin at 5 p.m., with performances by community groups. Tree Lighting will occur at approximately 6 p.m.
- Free skate at the Rink at The ROW, 7 p.m.
- First Street between Virginia and Center Streets will be closed on December 7 from approximately 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. for the Holiday Market and Tree Lighting.
Daily Public Art Displays (sponsored by the Reno Arts & Culture Commission) - December 7-14, 2019:
- Fish Out of Water art installation at Wingfield Park, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. (Sunday-Thursday) 10 p.m. (Friday and Saturday) Otto the giant 30’ goldfish will be hanging out over the Truckee River during the day and illuminated at night. By Bland Hoke.
- Sonic Dichroic Reeds at Wingfield Park, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. (Sunday-Thursday) 10 p.m. (Friday and Saturday) The piece features sound from local fauna (birds and insects) with 6-foot reeds made from dichroic glass that sway in the wind and reflect sunlight during the day. At night, they are transformed into brilliantly lit bouquets. By Hugh Livingston.
- Orchidelirium at Wingfield Park, 10 a.m. - 9 p.m. (Sunday-Thursday) 10 p.m. (Friday and Saturday) A giant orchid plant with interactive, colorful lighting. By Alysia Crissman
- You Are Here… Elsewhere at Harrah’s Event Plaza, 5 p.m. - 9 p.m. (Sunday-Thursday) 10 p.m. (Friday and Saturday) Projection art piece based on interactive maps. With the play of lights, video projections, pictograms and geographical coordinates, the human mapping turns into a playground. By Matthieu Tercieux and Edouard Souillot.
Thursday, December 12, 2019:
- Popup performance at Wingfield Park - 5:00 -7:00 p.m. by Reno Modern Brass
Friday, December 13, 2019:
- Popup performance at Wingfield Park - 6:00 -8:00 p.m. by Spoken Voices Collective and High Desert Harmony Chorus
Saturday, December 14, 2019 (Sponsored by the Reno Arts & Culture Commission):
- Fire & Ice Show on the City Plaza, 5 to 9 p.m. Ice Carving Contest, fire dancers and sculptures.
For more information about the Reno Winter Light Festival, to volunteer and other community holiday events, visit RenoCulture.com.