City of Reno hosts public Tree Lighting ceremony
The City of Reno invites the public to a free holiday Tree Lighting ceremony from 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. on Wednesday, December 5, 2018 at the Reno City Plaza. First Street between Virginia and Center Streets will be closed from approximately 5 to 7 p.m.
Coffee and hot cocoa will be available for purchase at the event. The festivities begin at 5:30 p.m., and the Tree Lighting is scheduled to take place around 6:30 p.m. At the start of the event, there will be a 41-second Moment of Silence to honor and remember President George H.W. Bush, the 41st President of the United States of America. The full schedule for the Tree Lighting ceremony is as follows:
- 5:30-5:40 p.m.: Kennelly School of Irish Dance performance
- 5:45-5:55 p.m.: Caroling by the RenoACDA chapter at the University of Nevada, Reno
- 5:55 - 6:20 p.m.: Performance by the McQueen High School Choir
- 6:25 - 6:30 p.m.: Reno Mayor Hillary Schieve, the Reno City Council and the *Riverwalk Merchants Association conduct the countdown for the official City of Reno Tree Lighting
- 6:30 p.m.: The Reno Police and Fire Departments lead a safe procession to Greater Nevada Field for free ice skating, dancing and other holiday festivities.
*Thanks to the Riverwalk Merchants Association for sponsoring the decorations for the 2018 City of Reno holiday tree.