Halloween safety tips from the Reno Police Department
Halloween is an exciting night of the year for young children, but it is also a time for parents to be extra vigilant for potential safety hazards. The Reno Police Department wants everyone to have a happy, fun, and safe Halloween by following these safety tips:
- Stay on sidewalks and use crosswalks
- When crossing any street make sure you make eye contact with drivers of vehicles and they stop their car before crossing
- Make a map of your route or of the neighborhoods you are going to visit
- Carry a flashlight and have it on during hours of darkness
- Travel in groups
- Wear reflective clothing or bands
- Never go into a stranger’s house or get into a stranger’s vehicle
Adults should always check Halloween candy before a child eats it. Dispose of anything that seems to have been tampered with, opened or unwrapped.
The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office will offer free Halloween candy X-ray screening at the Washoe County District Courthouse entrance, located at 75 Court St until 9:00 pm on Halloween night.
The Washoe County District Courthouse and the Mills Lane Justice Center will both offer free candy screening during regular business hours on the Thursday and Friday, following Halloween, located at 75 Court Street, and 1 South Sierra Street in Reno.
For more information on the Reno Police Departments safety tips, community outreach and more information about the department, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.