The Community Development Department is responsible for the physical development of the City. The core service areas of the department include: housing and neighborhood development, planning, engineering, building and safety inspections, and business licensing.
Electronic Building Permit Submissions
We are now accepting electronic submittal of building permit applications and plans.
Community Development News
Building and Safety Division kicks off summer food drive
The community is invited to get involved in a summer food drive hosted by the building and safety divisions from Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County. The food collected will benefit the Northern Nevada Food Bank programs that support local children and students.
Non-perishable food items can be dropped off through July 23 at the following locations:
- Reno City Hall (2nd and 6th floors), One E. First St., Reno
- Reno Building Inspectors Corpyard offices, 1745 East Commercial Row, Reno
- City of Sparks Legislative Building, 745 Fourth St., Sparks
- City of Sparks, 431 Prater Way, Sparks
- Washoe County Administration Building, 1001 E. Ninth St., Reno
Drive organizers are asking for items that provide high nutritional value, including:
- Canned meals: stews, soups, spaghetti/ravioli (low-sodium preferred)
- Protein: peanut butter, tuna, salmon, chicken, dried or canned beans
- Grains: whole grain cereal, oatmeal, brown rice, whole grain pasta
- Fruits: canned (packed in 100% juice or light syrup), dried fruit, applesauce (no sugar added), 100% fruit juice boxes
- Vegetables: canned (no salt added and/or low-sodium preferred)
- Dairy: shelf stable milk
- Kid-friendly snacks: granola bars, popcorn, animal crackers, graham crackers
- Baby products: formula, infant cereal, baby food
Questions about the drive can be directed to Kim Jolly with the Reno Building and Safety Division at firstname.lastname@example.org.