Halloween safety tips from the Reno Police Department
Halloween is an exciting night of the year for young children, but it is also a time for parents to be extra vigilant for potential safety hazards. The Reno Police Department wants everyone to have a happy, fun, and safe Halloween by following these safety tips:
- Stay on sidewalks and use crosswalks
- When crossing any street make sure you make eye contact with drivers of vehicles and they stop their car before crossing
- Make a map of your route or of the neighborhoods you are going to visit
- Carry a flashlight and have it on during hours of darkness
- Travel in groups
- Wear reflective clothing or bands
- Never go into a strangers house or get into a strangers vehicle
Parents are also urged to throw away any candy or treats that come in a wrapper that has a twist opening. Parents and children should avoid any off-brand-looking candy, or candy that looks like it has been tampered with.
The Washoe County Sheriff’s Office is providing free Halloween candy X-Ray inspection Wednesday, November 1, 2017, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. at the entrances to both Washoe County District and Justice Court Buildings, located at 75 Court Street, and 1 South Sierra Street in Reno.
For more information on the Reno Police Departments safety tips, community outreach and more information about the department, like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.