Prepare your family
- Make a family disaster plan and emergency kit for floods, earthquakes and fires.
- Buy a battery operated radio or TV and keep new batteries on hand.
- Learn where your emergency kit, battery radio and flashlights are kept.
- Never walk or bike through rising flood waters.
- Don’t go watch rising creeks and flood water, it’s not safe.
- Keep neighborhood storm drains clear of leaves and debris.
- Never get in the way of work crews when it’s flooding.
- During a power outage when traffic control signals are out, treat the intersection as a four way stop and proceed with caution.
Prepare your business
- Determine the risk of flooding at your business location.
- Tune to local radio and TV stations for emergency information.
- Update emergency contact information for all employees.
- Know where to move critical equipment such as computers.
- Know where to get sandbags and how to protect your business.
- Design an emergency evacuation plan for employees.
- Stockpile emergency building materials.
Information above is from the Truckee River Floods Awareness brochure.
For more information about flood preparedness go to the Northern Nevada Flood Information page.