If you receive a moving violation and are cited into the Reno Municipal Court, you may qualify to attend traffic school to avoid having demerit points reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). However, you do not qualify for traffic school if:
- Your citation involves an accident wherein you were cited for a moving violation;
- Your citation was issued for not yielding right-of-way to a pedestrian;
- Your citation was issued for a cell phone violation (pursuant to NRS 484B.165);
- Your violation could result in FIVE or more demerit points;
- You have had another citation in the past THREE years;
- You were involved in accident wherein you were cited for a moving violation in the past THREE years;
- You have attended traffic safety school within the past THREE years.
Be aware that requesting traffic safety school does not guarantee that it will be granted
To request approval to attend traffic school, you can make your request along with one of the following options:
- Appear on your arraignment date and request traffic safety school from the judge in court;
- Pay your citation in full in person on or before your arraignment date and request traffic safety school from the Reno Municipal Court Clerk's Office;
- Pay your citation in full by mail* and include a written request for traffic safety school;
- Pay your citation in full online or by phone (775-334-3066) and fax* (775-334-3824) a request for traffic school.
* If you are making your request by fax or mail, you will receive a response at the address listed on your citation. If that is not the correct address, please note your updated address on your request
By paying your fine prior to your court date, the Court assumes that you are waiving your right to a hearing before a judge and that you are admitting guilt.
Per NRS 483.450(3), all traffic convictions must be reported to the DMV within 5 days. If you request traffic school AFTER your conviction has been reported to DMV, your request will be denied by the Court and you will need to contact your state's DMV to request traffic school.
For all persons that have been approved to attend traffic school by Reno Municipal Court:
Upon proof of successful completion of traffic school, YOU MUST provide proof to the Court within 30 days of the date your attendance was granted AND upon payment of the original fine amount, your moving violation will be amended to 6.12.010 - Improperly Equipped/Unsafe Vehicle and no demerit points will be reported to the DMV.
If you have any questions feel free to contact us at 775-334-2290.
For a complete list of traffic schools, visit the DMV website.