If you received a moving violation and are cited into the Reno Municipal Court, you may qualify to attend traffic school to avoid having demerit points reported to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). However, you do not qualify for traffic school if:
- Your citation involves an accident wherein you were cited for a moving violation;
- Your citation was issued for not yielding right-of-way to a pedestrian;
- Your citation was issued for a cell phone violation while driving (pursuant to NRS 484B.165);
- A conviction could result in 5 or more demerit points (if you have a violation over 4 points, you can contact the DMV to attend traffic school),
- You have had another citation or accident wherein you were cited for a moving violation in the past 3 years; or,
- You have attended traffic school within the last 3 years.
To request approval to attend traffic school, you can make your request along with one of the following options:
- Pay your citation in person on or before your arraignment date (if you do not wish to appear before a judge);
- Appear on your arraignment date to see the judge in court;
- Pay your citation in full by mail (Reno Muni Court, P.O. Box 1900, Reno, NV 89505); and include a written request to complete traffic school; or,
- Pay your citation in full online (www.renopmts.com) or by phone (775-334-3066) and fax a request for traffic school. Send the fax (775-334-3824) before the payment is made and make sure to note that you are paying online or by phone.
Per NRS 483.450(3), all traffic convictions must be reported to the DMV within 5 days. If you request traffic school after your conviction has been reported, your request will be denied by the Court and you will need to contact your state's DMV to request traffic school.
Be aware that requesting the traffic school option from the Court does not guarantee it will be granted. The fee to attend a traffic school is non-refundable, whether your attendance is approved by the Court or not.
For all persons that have been approved to attend traffic school for Reno Municipal Court, upon proof of completion of traffic school submitted to the Court within the prescribed time period and upon payment of the original fine amount, your moving violation will be amended to a non-moving violation and no demerit points will be reported to the DMV against your driving record. If you are making your request by fax or mail, you will receive a response at the address listed on your citation. If that is not the correct address, please note your updated address on your request. If you have any questions feel free to contact us at 775-334-2290.
For Reno Municipal Court Traffic School, click here: https://www.onlinecourteducation.com/rmc/.
For a complete list of traffic schools, visit the DMV website.