Biggest Little City

Housing FAQs

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option



Is there a list of affordable rental housing for people with low to moderate income?

The Affordable Housing Guide provides the names, addresses, and phone numbers of numerous affordable housing rental properties in Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County. Contact the individual properties for further, detailed information. If you wish to print out this information, be sure to do so in a booklet format so that it will read correctly.

I need help with a rental deposit, where can I go?

The City of Reno has a limited deposit assistance program primarily for individuals/families residing in the homeless shelter shelter.  Individuals must work through a case manager at the shelter. Please call 775-334-3853 for more details.

I already live in rental housing, but I need help with my rent this month. Where can I get assistance?

 The Homelessness Prevention and Rapid Rehousing Program no longer has available funds.   Please call 334-3853 for more information.

I need help paying for my weekly motel, where can I go?

Unfortunately, the City of Reno does not pay any hotel/motel bills at this time, even with an eviction notice.

My utilities are going to be shutoff, or already have been shutoff. Where can I go for help?

You can call the Low Income Energy Assistance Program at 775-684-0730. You can also call the Family Resource Center at 775-786-5809. If you have a disabled family member in the household, you can have your doctor fax a letter to NV Energy, which may avoid the shutoff.


The Reno Housing Authority is not a department or division of the City of Reno government. It is a separate agency.

How do I contact the Reno Housing Authority?

Main offices are located at 1525 E. Ninth Street, Reno, NV 899512. Their main number is 775-329-3630.

Where can I go for subsidized or Section 8 housing, get a Section 8 voucher, or ask questions about Section 8?

Reno Housing Authority is responsible for the Section 8 Voucher Program. Please call 775-331-5138 for  information.


I believe my rental unit is unsafe and the landlord won’t fix the problems. Who can I call?

For the City of Reno, call Reno Direct at 775-334-INFO (4636) (774-334-2589 TDD) OR FAX 334-3134. You may also send email to Reno Direct. For Washoe County or the City of Sparks,  contact  their main offices for information.

I am being evicted, where can I go for help?

Eviction is a civil issue between you and your landlord. Washoe Legal Services at 329-2727 may be helpful. If you feel as though you are being evicted unjustly, you can call Nevada Legal Services at 775-284-3491.

Where do I go if I feel I have been discriminated against when trying to obtain housing?

Complaints regarding discrimination based on disability, race, color, family size, age, etc., can be made to Silver State Fair Housing. They are lo0cated at 110 W. Arroyo, Suite A, Reno, NV 89509. 775-324-0990, toll free 1-888-585-8634. Relay Nevada 711. Fax: 773-324-7507.  Website:


Where can I get assistance to help make needed repairs to the home I own and live in?

At the present time, the City of Reno does not have a rehabilitation program for homeowners.

Where can I get assistance with down payment to purchase a home?

At the present time, the City of Reno does not have a down payment assistance program. 

I’m facing foreclosure what can I do?

Nevada Foreclosure Information Workbook: The Nevada Foreclosure Prevention Task force provides information in this workbook for those facing mortgage delinquency and are seeking assistance. It is designed as a tool for making informed decisions and provides direction on the information needed when seeking assistance.

The Housing and Economic Recovery Act of 2008 was signed by President Bush on July 30, 2008, and the program was implemented on October 1, 2008. This program is designed to assist borrowers in danger of losing their homes to refinance into more affordable government insured mortgages by offering government insurance to lenders who voluntarily reduce mortgages for at-risk homeowners to at least 90% of the property's current value. Review the Department of Housing and Urban Development FAQ sheet and HOPE for Homeowners news release October 1, 2008 and HOPE for Homeowners Fact Sheet for additional information.

For more information relating to foreclosure and housing assistance:


HUD Tips for Avoiding Foreclosure

HUD Approved Housing Counseling Agencies

HUD: Helping Homeowners Keep Their Home

What about the CDBG FUNDS for Foreclosures? Neighboring house values, increased crime and significant disinvestment are all issues for neighborhoods that are created by homes that have been foreclosed upon and sitting unoccupied. To ensure that communities can mitigate these effects of foreclosures, the Housing Act provides for nearly $4 billion for the purchase (at a discount), rehabilitation, and redevelopment of these homes. After purchase the homes must be used to assist individuals and families with incomes at or below 120% of the area median income wishing to purchase. Twenty-five percent of the funds must be used for households with incomes at or below 50% of the area median income. This program allows states and localities to purchase bulk tracks of homes which have been foreclosed or abandoned, avoiding the problems that can be created when whole neighborhoods are decimated by foreclosures. These funds must be committed within 18 months. For information on allocations, see FACTS.




 What is the Community Assistance Center?

The Community Assistance Center (CAC) is a one stop shop homeless services campus located at 315 and 335 Record Street. The following organizations are co-located at the CAC:


HAWC Outreach Clinic

Good Shepherd’s Clothes Closet

Westcare Nevada, Inc.

Tom Vetica Resource Center

Restart, Inc.

Washoe County School District Re-Engagement Center

VOA Family Shelter

VOA Men’s Shelter

VOA Women’s Shelter


 Where is there help for individuals and families needing a temporary location to stay?

Individuals and families needing a temporary location to stay can access a number of homeless shelters in Reno:

Family Shelters (must have custody of minor children)

VOA Family Shelter (775) 322-9574; 335 Record Street, Reno, NV 89512

Family Promise (775) 284-5566

Reno Sparks Gospel Mission (775) 329-0485


Men’s Shelters

VOA Men’s Shelter (775) 329-4141; 315 Record Street, Reno, NV 89512

Reno Sparks Gospel Mission (seniors only) (775) 329-0485; 355 Record Street, Reno, NV 89512


Women’s Shelters

VOA Women’s Shelter (775) 329-4145; 315 Record Street, Reno, NV 89512

Reno Sparks Gospel Mission (775) 329-0485


Where can I find other social service information?

Dial 2-1-1 on a local telephone or access the 211 Nevada website at



 Where can I stay if I am fleeing domestic violence?


Domestic Violence Shelters

CAAW (775) 329-4150

Safe Embrace (775) 322-3466



 Where can I volunteer that serves individuals/families experiencing homelessness?

Numerous organizations in town that serve individuals and families experiencing homelessness use volunteers. One of the easiest methods to find volunteer opportunities is to search Some of the organizations that frequently utilize volunteers include the Tom Vetica Resource Center (657-4675), St. Vincent’s/Catholic Charities (322-7073, ext. 238) and Family Promise (284-5566).

 Where can I take donations for the homeless?

There are a lot of options for donating goods for the homeless. This list is not comprehensive and only includes the agencies we have known first hand to provide goods for free to the homeless or who sell items to benefit their homeless and/or treatment programs.

             Clothing- Good Shepherds Clothes Closet; 335 Record Street

Toiletries- Tom Vetica Resource Center; 335 Record Street

Kitchen supplies- VOA Family Shelter; 335 Record Street or Westcare Nevada; 315 Record Street

Furniture- Reno Sparks Gospel Mission 329-0485, Catholic Charities/St. Vincent’s 322-7073, Salvation Army

Non-perishable food- St. Vincent’s Food Pantry ((775) 786-5266), Reno Sparks Gospel Mission (329-0485), VOA Family Shelter (322-9574), Westcare Nevada ((775) 348-8811)

Should I give money to panhandlers?

Research has shown that most panhandlers are not actually homeless under the legal definition. It is suggested that you donate the funds to local organizations that serve individuals and families experiencing homelessness.

 Where can I feed the homeless?

Preference is that individuals/groups wishing to feed the homeless do so at the Community Assistance Center. The Tom Vetica Resource Center maintains a calendar of groups feeding in the parking lot. Outdoor feeding at the CAC must be arranged ahead of time.

 The shelters themselves do not have commercial kitchens and meals are provided most nights by the Reno Sparks Gospel Mission. Groups wishing to feed inside the shelter can call any of the shelters to make arrangements. Meals must be cooked in sanitary conditions and must serve all shelter guests.

 To feed in a public park, a permit must be acquired through the City Parks and Recreation Department.

 I have seen an individual that appears to have a mental illness roaming the streets, how can I get them help?

If the person is a danger to themselves or others (inflicted or attempted to inflict serious bodily harm to self or others, made threats to inflict harm and committed acts in furtherance of those threats, is neglecting self care such as nourishment, etc.) please contact 911. See NRS 433A for more information.

 If the individuals is not a danger to themselves or others but is in need of mental health treatment you can try several resources:

 Non-emergency Reno Police (775) 334-COPS. If the person does not meet the legal hold criteria, they may be referred for other community services, however it is up to the individual in need to access them.

 ReStart Inc. (775) 324-2622. If the person is homeless and mentally ill you can request that the ReStart Outreach Case Manager contact the person and try to get them to access ReStart services.

 If the person is a Veteran you can contact the Health Care for Homeless Veterans Outreach Social Workers at (775) 324-6600

 There are people camping near my residence/business, how can I stop them?

You can make a non-emergency police report at 334-COPS. The police department will determine if the individual has a legal right to do so.


Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Flash Player QuickTime Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer
View Full Site