Click on an image in the filmstrip to see a larger version.
The City of Reno is proud to announce the creation of the Wells Avenue Neighborhood Conservation District!
The district, designated from Ryland south to Vassar, and Holcomb east to Locust, will protect the historic value of the Wells area, and help guide future planning and development in that area to maintain the district's historical significance.
The Wells Avenue Neighborhood contains some of the oldest homes in Reno south of the river. It has many fine examples of Queen Anne Revival and Craftsman architecture as well as an association with numerous interesting former prominent Reno-ites.
The neighborhood was first developed into buildable lots around 1900 when Sheldon Wells’ sheep ranch was subdivided by his son-in-law Samuel Wheeler after his death. By 1907, Charles Burke had purchased and subdivided adjacent ranch land and the neighborhood began to take shape.
The Virginia and Truckee railroad ran along Holcomb Avenue until 1950 and in 1908 Charles Burke paid to extend the electric trolley line from downtown along Moran Street to Wells Avenue where it ended at Cheney Street. Many of the neighborhood’s former residents enjoyed trolley service until 1927.