The Historic Reno Walking Map in conjunction with the Historic Reno Map Guide provide interesting information and photographs about some of the historic points of interest and other Reno landmarks. Some of these points of interest may be listed in the National Register of Historic Places, the Nevada State Register of Historic Places and/or the Reno City Register of Historic Places. Please use the map and map guide to discover some of Reno's historic points of interest.
Nevada- California-Oregon Rail Road Depot/ Locomotive House and Machine Shop
The depot was designed Reno’s pre-eminent architect Frederic Delongchamps in 1910. The two-story red brick building is a reflection of the eclecticism of early twentieth century builders. The depot combines Italianate bracketed cornices with Mission-style façade elements. The locomotive house and machine shop next to the depot was built in 1889.
Reno National Bank
Built in 1915 by powerful businessman George Wingfield, this Classical Revival Style building was designed by Reno’s pre-eminent architect Frederic Delongchamps. The architectural details include the terra cotta-cladding with extensive low relief sculpture ornamentation and a two-story portico supported by Ionic columns. The building recently housed a Planet Hollywood, and casts of celebrities’ handprints and autographs are still located on the south wall.
Virginia Street Bridge
This site began as Fullers Crossing in 1860 and become Lakes Crossing in 1861. It has had a bridge on it since 1860. The current bridge was built in 1905, replacing an earlier iron bridge. The Virginia Street Bridge is the oldest functioning bridge in Reno, as well as one of the first reinforced concrete bridges in Nevada. It was designed by John B. Leonard of San Francisco, who made a name for himself with his innovations in concrete bridge construction. According to Reno’s folklore, many newly-divorced people threw wedding rings from this bridge.
George Wingfield built the Riverside Hotel in 1927 in order to exploit Reno’s renowned divorce trade. The hotel has an international reputation, and many rich and famous divorce-seekers stayed there. Designed by Frederic DeLongchamps, the buildings are in the Period Revival architectural style with Gothic detailing.
Reno Downtown Station Post Office
The post Office is one of the best Art Deco /Art Moderne edifice in Nevada. Designed by Frederic Delongchamps, the post office opened for business in 1934. The exterior is terra cotta incised to resemble quarried stone. The aluminum panels over the entrance salute transportation and are integrated with patriotic and Indian motifs in the interior. A visit inside is a must.
The Pioneer Center was built in 1968. Its architectural style was derived from the inventions of Richard Buckminster Fuller’s whose famous geodesic dome is based on the idea that the triangle is the strongest structure in nature. The pioneer Center’s chief designer on this building was a student of Buckminster Fuller.
The Lake Mansion was built in 1877 by W.J. Marsh in the Italianate style. It was purchased in 1879 by Myron Lake, who is acknowledged as one of Reno’s founders. The house originally stood at the corner of California Avenue and Virginia Street. To save it from demolition, it was moved to the grounds of the Reno-Sparks Convention Center in 1971. When the Convention Center expanded in 2004, the mansion was moved once again to its present location.
20th Century Club
This building was constructed in 1925. The 20th Century Club was a women’s organization involved in many causes, ranging from passing laws prohibiting spitting on sidewalks to educational and social issues. This building couples Prairie School style with classical elements.
First Methodist Church
Built in 1925, the First Methodist Church was one of Reno’s first poured concrete structures. The building utilizes a cross plan typical of Gothic Revival style churches. It was designed by the architectural form of Wythe, Blaine, and Olson of Oakland, California. The parish house and connecting wing were added around 1940.
The Glass Gallery / The Dow House
Built in 1907-08 by Lisle Jamison, the style of Colonial Revival with Queen Anne influences. In 1932, it was a popular rooming house for divorce seekers.
The Young House
This multi-family Victorian Gothic style residence was built around 1904. It was used as a boarding house by Mr. Ahler in the 1920’s. Note the gabled roof and stone foundation.
Fluted posts with Ionic capitals flank the stairway leading to the entrance of this Colonial Revival style house that was built in 1905 by Eben Twaddle. In its later years, divorce seekers used it for temporary housing.
Designed in 1906 by Reno architect Fred Schadler, this Mission/Spanish style house is associated with prominent people such as Governors Taskie Oddie and Emmet Boyle.
Built in 1885, this building consists of Victorian and Italianate elements. The side porch was added in 1890 using Colonial Revival style rounded porch columns to support the porch roofs.
Constructed between 1885 and 1890, it reflects the design and compositional integrity of the pattern book houses, featured in Andrew Jackson Downing’s The Architecture of Country Houses, that were popular in the late 1800’s. The house once belonged to John Orr who developed irrigation ditches that still carry water from the Truckee River and Spanish Springs area to North Reno.
Lora J. Knight House
Mrs. Knight had this house built in 1931 to complement the order houses she owned in Montecito, California, and Emerald Bay. It is designed in the colonial Revival Style. The various structures built behind the house were used for the fifteen members of her staff.
This Colonial Revival Style home was built by Los Angeles architect, Elmer Grey, for Prince Hawkins in 1911. Grey also designed the Beverly Hills Hotel in addition to other notable building. The design of the traditional red brick, with Georgian style white wood trim and Doric columns, enhances the elegant front entry. Because the Sierra Nevada Museum of Art occupied the building in 1980’s, the city of Reno accorded the property with the City’s first historical landmark status.
Built in 1906, it is an elegant example of Classical Revival architecture. The front porch is supported by Ionic columns. The roof is hipped with gabled dormer windows and composition shingles. The house was built for William Levy, a prominent local merchant, who owned the Palace Dry Goods store.
Built between 1904 and 1906, it was owned by Nevada Senator, Francis Newlands. This building is significant because of its Queen Anne architecture style in addition to some Colonial Revival influences which can be seen in the porch treatment.
The Nortonia Boarding House
Built in 1900, this Queen Anne architecture stands as one of the best remaining representatives of this style in Reno. The porch roof, supported by narrow Doric columns, forms a balcony with a balustrade topped by small wooden balls. This building is associated with the boarding house phenomena that exited in Reno in the early 1900’s.
The significance of the California Apartments comes primarily from its architect, F.J. DeLongchamps. Its horizontal composition and classical entrance portico with four Tuscan columns distinguishes the building as a solid, elegant structures.
The Charles Burke House
Designed with elements of the Queen Anne and Colonial Revival styles, and built in 1908 by Mr. Burke, the house retains most of its structural integrity. Burke was in the real estate business and was responsible for the development of southeast Reno.
Southern Pacific Depot/Railway Express/S.P. Freight House
This version of the train depot was built in 1925 in the Mediterranean Revival style popular with the Southern Pacific Railroad. There were three previous train stations on this site. The first was built in 1869 for the Central Pacific Railroad, but it burned in the Great Reno Fire 1879. A second building was opened in 1889, but it burned down as well and a smaller structure replaced it until Southern Pacific took over Central Pacific, and built the present depot. The buildings to the east of the depot are the Railway Express Office and the Southern Pacific Freight House. Reno’s drinking fountain can be found on the track level inside the new section of the Amtrak Depot. The fountain was dedicated to the veterans of the Spanish-American Was by the Woman’s Christian Temperance Union and the American Red Cross.
Emigrant Trail-later wagon route: ca. 1857
Commercial Row was the alignment of the first wagon road through what would become Reno. The road connected the town site of Glendale in present-day Sparks and the Henness Pass Road near present-day Mayberry Park. The Central Pacific Railroad laid tracks next to the wagon road in 1868 and Reno was created as a railroad town.
Reno Masonic/Mercantile Building
The Masonic Hall was built in 1872 and it is the oldest extant commercial building in Reno. The upper story served as the hall and the first floor was the Reno Mercantile Company from 1895 to 1970. This Victorian building exhibits Romanesque Revival and Italianate style elements.
Birthplace of Blue Jeans/Jacob Davis’s Tailor Shop
This plaque marks the location of Jacob Davis’s tailor shop where, in 1871, the riveted work plants we now call blue jeans, were invented. Jacob Davis made heavy-duty work pants out of sturdy cotton duck fabric he obtained from the San Francisco wholesale form of Levi Strauss & Co. To strengthen his pants, Davis hit on the idea of putting copper rivets at the stress points. On May 20, 1873, Jacob Davis and Levi Strauss received patent #139,121. They soon began to manufacture copper riveted work pants out of blue denim, and the American fashion icon Levi’s jeans were born. The historic marker was placed by the Historical Resources Commission in 2006.
Fed from snow runoff in California’s Sierra Nevada Mountains, the 110-mile Truckee River Flows northeast from Lake Tahoe across the Nevada State line, past Reno and Sparks, and into Pyramid Lake on the Pyramid Lake Piute Tribe Reservation. The Truckee River sports the habitats of the Lahontan Cutthroat Trout and the rare ancient Cui-ui, a fish found only on the Truckee River and Pyramid Lake.
Reno’s first arch was erected in 1926 in celebration of the new Lincoln and Victory Highways and was located on Virginia Street at Commercial Row. The first Slogan was “Reno Nevada’s Transcontinental Highway Exposition, June 25 to August 1, 1927.” In 1929, a new contest-winning slogan was chosen: “Reno: Biggest Little City of the World.” Neon was added in 1935. The arch was reconstructed in its present location in 1995. The Reno Historical Resource Commission placed the interpretive plaque on the arch in 2003.
The Colonial was Reno’s first large apartment building, built in 1907. It was built and owned by C.E. Clough, the organizer of Reno’s first power company, the first water system in Sparks, and the Reno Press Brick Company. In its day, it was a desirable address.
St. Thomas Aquinas Cathedral
The cathedral was built in 1907 and partially reconstructed in 1910, after a fire. The building utilizes Renaissance, Classical, and Baroque motifs in its design. The school and rectory, which faces 2nd street, were both designed by Frederic BeLongchamps and built in 1931.
The Lane Building was constructed in 1906 as a coal and wood company. In 1913, it became an automobile repair facility, which lasted 54 years until 1967. The building stood vacant from 1967 until 1985, when it became the Old College Gym. The building is now part of University of Nevada.
American Railway Express Station (The Amtrak Station)
A rectangular one story, flat roofed, stucco sided structure, and it has decorative elements taken from the Mission/Spanish Style. A cornice decorated with an egg and dart belt course projects above the store front.
E.C. Lyons Building (Odd-fellows Unity Lodge # 38 / Farmers and Merchants bank)
Built in 1908, this building derives its significance from its historical association with notable Reno entities such as the International Order of Odd Fellows, the Reno Business College, the Nevada Commercial College, the Farmers and Merchants Bank and the Nevada State Life Insurance Company. After a fire in 1942, the building was given an Art Modern look.
Lake Street Bridge
Dedicated to one of Reno’s founding fathers, Myron Lake, this bridge stands on the site of the original Reno Township and is an early river crossing. Built in 1937, it has Art Deco concrete balusters and an ornate iron light lost complements the northwest corner.
Mount Rose Elementary School
Mount Rose Elementary School is one of two remaining Mission Revival style schools from a group of four known as the "Spanish Quartet." These single-story schools were built as a result of a bond issue, and in addition to Mount Rose, McKinley Park School is the only other of the four to remain. The other two schools making up the Spanish Quartet were Mary S. Doten School at the corner of Fifth and Washington streets, and Orvis Ring, on Seventh between Record and Evans streets. Mount Rose Elementary was built in 1912 and designed by local architect George Ferris, in a style that is rare for the Reno area. The school cost $1.18 per square foot for a total price of $39,743. An addition to the school, designed by Ferris's son Lehman, was constructed in 1938.
The Mission school is U-shaped with an arcade sheltering the main entry and brick walls covered with cement stucco. The first of the two domed bell towers was built in 1912, the second added with the 1938 addition. The school originally contained 15 classrooms and a kitchen. When Mount Rose was first built, it was located in a vacant field on the periphery of growing Reno. The vast residential neighborhoods of Newlands and the Plumas eventually grew around the school over the first half of the 20th century. Mount Rose still functions as an elementary school today, serving children from these large residential areas.
Senator Francis G. Newlands House
The residence of Francis G. Newlands, U.S. Congressman 1893-1903, and U.S. Senator 1903-1917, was built from 1889 to1890, with the front wing and arbor added sometime before 1908. The Shingle style mansion contains numerous Queen Anne attributes, including a random horizontal plan with wings, bays and porches, and the steep gable roof. Francis Newlands came to Nevada in 1888 to manage the interests of William Sharon, one of the Comstock silver barons. Newlands was elected to the House of Representatives in 1892, and in 1903 he was elected to the Senate. He served as a senator until his death in 1917.
Newlands was the primary author of the Reclamation Act of 1902. The Reclamation Act sought to promote agriculture in the arid west through the construction of large-scale irrigation projects. The first project under the Reclamation Act was the Newlands Irrigation Project in Nevada's Lahontan Valley. After Newland's death, George Thatcher, a prominent local attorney, purchased the home in 1920. Thatcher was a well-known and successful divorce lawyer, who occasionally let his prominent clients reside in his home. This was the case when Woolworth dime store heiress Barbara Hutton came to Reno for a divorce in 1935.
Because of Newlands's prominence in politics, water and reclamation projects in the west, his property was designated a National Historic Landmark, one of just six in Nevada. Newlands's mansion was the first residence built along the bluff overlooking the Truckee River, and the area grew into a fashionable neighborhood known as Newlands Heights. Today it contains many historic mansions and homes. The majority of the residences were erected between 1920 and 1940, and the diversity of architectural styles range from large Colonial Revival and French Chateau mansions to more modest Spanish Colonial Revival and Craftsman bungalows.
University of Nevada Historic District
The University of Nevada was established as a Land Grant university in Elko in 1874. In 1884, the campus was moved to Reno, where it has become a well reputed, but comparatively small, educational institution. Until the 1960s the University of Nevada-Reno was the only institution of higher education in the state. It has contributed greatly to numerous fields, including the humanities, mining, engineering, and agriculture, and to educational opportunity within Nevada.
The University's quadrangle was modeled on Thomas Jefferson's plans for the University of Virginia campus. Incorporating three existing 19th-century buildings such as Morrill Hall, the campus concept became the master plan guiding the university's growth from 1906 to 1941. During this period, philanthropist Clarence Hungerford Mackay had great influence over the physical form of the campus through his financial support and personal involvement in the development of the campus. The historic campus contains 13 buildings, built from 1886 to 1945, that represent architectural styles of the late 19th century, the Classical Revival which predominated in the early 20th century, and one example of Art Moderne. These buildings represent the work of a number of architects noted for their work in Nevada and elsewhere including Frederick DeLongchamps of Reno, Robert Farquhar of Los Angeles, and the New York firm of McKim, Mead and White, whom Mackay hired to design several buildings starting with the Mackay School of Mines.
The University Gymnasium is the one building in the district not located around the central quadrangle and lake area. It was a departure not only from the classic campus plan, but also the classical architecture that dominated the university's early 20th-century buildings. Designed by DeLongchamps, the Art Moderne gymnasium was begun in 1942 but, due to World War II, not completed until 1945. DeLongchamps's design for the gymnasium tied it to the rest of the core campus by his choice of materials, brick and concrete, and the overall symmetrical massing of the building. The building reflects an important phase of DeLongchamps's work, an architect who worked in numerous period styles.
Morrill Hall, University of Nevada/Reno
Morrill Hall was the first building of the University of Nevada-Reno campus. This academic building, a three-story Second Empire style edifice, was constructed after the University of Nevada was relocated from Elko to Reno in 1884. Relatively few Second Empire style buildings remain in Reno, and it may be that Morrill Hall was a rare example of this particular type of Victorian building constructed in the city. The cornerstone was laid on September 12, 1885, and the building was ready for occupancy on February 15, 1886. Constructed of two-story brick walls, a third story was formed by the typical Second Empire style mansard roof. A deep basement provided additional space.
Originally called State University, the building housed administration offices, classrooms, and dormitories. At the time it was built, Nevada was little more than a collection of rough mining camps and railroad towns. The new university hall symbolized the determination of the people of Nevada to provide educational opportunities for themselves and their children. Currently, the Alumni Association, University Foundation, and the University of Nevada Press occupy the building.
Mackay School of Mines Buildings
William S. Richardson, of the prominent New York architectural firm of McKim, Mead, and White, designed the Mackay School of Mines Building in the Georgian Revival architectural style in 1906. Built by Northwestern Construction Company, the original configuration for the building was U-shaped, enclosing an open-ended atrium. The front section of the building was laid with Flemish-bond brick and features a two-story portico with four monumental Tuscan columns of Indiana limestone, and a white mosaic tile ceiling under the portico. In 1926, Frederic DeLongchamps undertook a remodeling project, adding a second story and enclosing the atrium. He also added the present copper-sheathed hipped roof and skylights.
The Mackay family funded construction of this building in honor of Comstock Lode "King" John Mackay , an Irish immigrant, who made a fortune in the Comstock mining boom. At the time of his death, John Mackay's estate was worth at least $30,000,000. Mackay's son, Clarence, provided funding for the building and its later remodeling. Sculptor Gutzon Borglum, of Mount Rushmore fame, designed the cast bronze statue of John Mackay located at the front of the School of Mines. The Mackay School of Mines is one of the major schools of mines in the county and the building also houses the Geology Museum, established in 1906. The collections, which also include Mackay family silver, are extremely valuable to the history of mining in Nevada and the American West. They are in constant use for teaching and research.
Fleischmann Atmospherium Planetarium
Located at the northwestern edge of the University of Nevada-Reno campus, the Fleischmann Atmospherium Planetarium was built in 1963 as the first atmospherium of its kind in the world. While other planetaria featured views of the night sky and solar system, the Fleischmann Atmospherium Planetarium, could simulate both day and night conditions and a full range of atmospheric phenomena, including cloud formations, thunderstorms and rainbows. The first planetarium, the Adler Planetarium in Chicago, opened in 1930. But it wasn't until the 1960s that widespread public interest in space exploration and science, coupled with improved technology led to an increase in the number of planetaria, as they spread to mid-size American cities such as Reno. Designed by Reno architect Raymond Hellman and constructed by McKenzie Construction, the atmospherium is an excellent example of the Populuxe style of architecture, characterized by space-age designs that depict motion, such as boomerangs, flying saucers, atoms, and parabola. Building such as this reflect American society's emphasis on futuristic designs and fascination with space-age themes during the 1960s.
Dr. Wendell A. Mordy, director of the University of Nevada's Desert Research Institute, envisioned that the atmospherium would not only be a home for the institute but a place where students, physicists and the public could learn about weather and the atmosphere. It was the first planetarium in the nation to feature a 360-degree projector capable of providing horizon-to-horizon images and through time-lapse photography showing an entire day's weather in a few minutes. Although no longer is use, the atmospherium initially featured an experimental solar heating and cooling system designed by Desert Research Institute. The system consisted of 19 louvers, black on one side and white on the other, capable of being rotated to reflect or absorb light. An 18,000-gallon water tank served as a heat exchange unit.
The 1872 California-Nevada Boundary Marker
The 1872 California-Nevada Boundary Marker is an important element in the history of both California and Nevada. It is a vestige of one of the Far West’s largest surveying efforts, an effort which still affects the populace of both states today. When California wrote a construction in 1849, it defined its northern border as the 42nd Parallel; its southern border as the border between the U.S. and Mexico, established in the Treaty of Guadalupe-Hidalgo on 1848; and its eastern border as connecting at the intersection of the 120th degree of longitude and 42nd degree of north latitude then south-easterly in a straight line to the point where the 35th degree of north latitude crosses the Colorado River, then South down the center of the Rio Colorado to Mexico. Thus, California’s eastern (and Nevada’s western) boundary was created on paper.
Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity House
Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity House was built in 1929 on a hill overlooking University Terrace Avenue in Reno’s West University neighborhood where a number of other fraternities and sororities located. Architecturally, ATO House is a three-story (plus a basement), side-gabled Colonial Revival-style building modeled after a Georgian precedent. The style-defining features are symmetrical 5-ranked windows on the primary facade, a Georgian entrance with a centered door, an upside-down pediment crown supported by decorative pilasters, sidelights, and a horizontal double row of small panes beneath the crown. Above the reserved pediment are the inscribed letters ATΩ.
Bernard, W.E. House
The W.E. Barnard House is located on a small lot in Reno’s Newland’s Manor subdivision. It was built in 1930 by developer W.E. Barnard, the house was advertised as being an “artistic home” (Reno Evening Gazette, August 9, 1930). Mr. Barnard has a flare for small-scale picturesque and romantic designs. The W.E. Barnard House fits somewhere in the range of variation in the Tudor Architectural style, with a strong English Country Cottage influence. The dominant architectural features are a large, stone beehive chimney at the northeast corner of the front elevation, and the high-pitched, gabled entry with a characteristics Tudor arch at the southwest corner.
Bethel AME Church
The building was constructed in 1910 by Reno’s African Methodist Episcopal (AME) congregation, which had been established just three years before. The original church building, which exists beneath the surface of the brick expansion undertaken in 1941, was a small rectangular, gable-roofed, clapboard building with a centrally-placed, enclosed, hipped-roofed vestibule, and a single entry door. The most prominent features of the little church were the four Gothic pointed-arch stained glass windows and an oculus over the vestibule. The building was enlarged and remodeled in 1941, and this is the version of the church that stands today.
Benson Dillon Billinghurst Home
The Benson Dillon Billinghurst Home is of state historical significance because of its association with Benson Dillon Billinghurst, a renowned Nevada educator. From 1908 up to the time of his death in December of 1935, he served as the Superintendent of Washoe County’s Schools. His name and his influence are associated with many reforms and innovations in Nevada education. He was the first educator in the state to introduce the junior high school concept and under his administration five such schools were built and put into operations. He was also a leader and an innovator in industrial, home, and commercial education in the state’s schools.
The Brown/Damonte Ranch originally encompassed approximately 620 acres in the Southern Truckee Meadows at the north end of the Steamboat Valley. The core of the Brown/Damonte Ranch today is a collection of five nineteenth and twentieth-century buildings. The main house, built in 1864, is a large, two-and-one –half story, Greek Revival style residence dominated by a typical side-facing gable roof. Previous occupants remodeled the house in 1940 and 1955. The house’s early twentieth-century appearance will be described first and then the alterations will be noted.
Located at 418 Cheney Street, is a one-story, wood framed house. The house has a hipped roof with a one story porch projecting slightly from underneath a front gable. The multi-pane sections of the window have a diamond-lattice design. The porch gable has a small, rectangular window that also has the diamond lattice deign. The south elevation (rear) appears to have been an open porch that was filled in. The windows are not original and appeared to have been installed in the late 1970s. At the southeast corner is an access door to the basement with steps leading down as well as up into the house. The house has two bedrooms and one bath, all located on the east side of the house.
The Field Matron’s Cottage
Stylistically, the Field Matron’s Cottage follows a regional type called Stewart Vernacular. The name refers to a style developed by Frederick Snyder, superintendent of the Stewart Indian School in Carson City, which is located roughly 40 miles from the Reno-Sparks Indian Colony. The style, which is based in a Craftsman Bungalow model, utilized the craftsmanship of local stonemasons, James and John Christopher, with the assistance of Indian apprentices. Frederick Snyder brought the style and the masonry apprenticeship program to the Indian Schools. Besides a number of buildings on the grounds of the school, the Native American apprentices built a variety of buildings in the region, including private residences.
The Francovich House is a two-story, brick, vernacular structure, reflecting Queen Anne and Colonial Revival style influence. Constructed between 1899 and 1900, the structure is rectangular in form with a polygonal tower projecting from one corner of this façade. The tower is topped with a polygonal peaked roof ornamented with a pointed finial. The roof over the main structure is pyramid in shape, intersected by the large corner tower roof form. Roof eaves overhang the building and are ornamented with brackets. Windows are double-hung, one large pane over one, with cast concrete sills. The house originally rested on a granite block foundation. After its move in October of 1983, the house was placed on a new cinder block foundation, a requirement of city code. This cinderblock foundation is to be faced by granite, so that it retains its original appearance.
The Frey Ranch
The Fray Ranch is an agriculture complex associated with the early development of Reno and Washoe County. The ranch buildings sit atop a geothermal field, which has historically, and presently, provided the ranch with hot water and space heat by way of artesian wells. In the courtyard behind the main building is an unusual trough-shaped cement and stone structure. This structure is approximately seven feet along, three feet high, and two feet wide. The inside is filled with cement and several iron pipes extend from it. The current owner, Mrs. Bartholomew, reported that this structure was built ca.1925 and was used as a basin for washing clothes, among other users. Mrs. Bartholomew also learned that it had been used as a place to boil pig carcasses in order to remove the skin more easily. Joseph Frey was known to have been a butcher, so this use seems plausible.
The Lauella Garvey House
The Laulella Garvey House is located at 589-599 California Avenue, on the corner of Nixon Avenue. The architectural style of the house falls within the general Colonial Revival mode, but includes French Regency details, which were signature style elements for architect Paul Revere Williams at the time. It is not clear weather Paul William’s original plan was for a single residence or a duplex, but from fire insurance maps and city directories, it is clear that as soon as the house was occupied it functioned as a duplex. The Garvey House is an excellent condition. With the exception of the conversion of a patio into a parking area, the house retains a high degree of all seven aspects of integrity.
Graham William J. House
This Tudor Revival house is constructed of brick with half-timbered stucco gables (two on the north, three on the west and one on the south). The original wood shingle roof, leaded windows, and an eyebrow window on the Gordon Avenue façade all are intact. Two brick chimneys punctuate the roofline. The house was designed by George A. Shastey (Architect-Designer) for Graham and his wife who occupied the structure until they died there in 1965 and 1968, respectively. The original building plans, dated September 1, 1927, are available. Baseboards, casings and other moldings are intact in the original portions of the ground floor.
The Joseph Gray House
The Joseph Gray House follows design integrating Colonial Revival Style ornamentation with massing associated with Queen Anne design. The dwelling, whose architect has not been identified, retains a high degree of integrity. The structure is currently used for professional offices. Although many buildings have been converted to commercial offices, the area retains its residential character defined by low scale, single family dwellings dating from the first three decades of the twentieth century. The principal entrance to the structure is marked by a slightly projecting pediment porch supported by paired, Tuscan columns.
Greystone Castle is located on a small lot in Reno’s Newland’s Manor subdivision. It was originally identified as 636 Joaquin Miller Drive, but in the 1950s the street was renumbered and the house was assigned 970. Built in 1930 by developer W.E. Barnard, the house was advertised as having “the charm of an old English castle and all the modern conveniences of the very latest American home” (Reno Evening Gazatte, August 9, 1930). Mr. Barnard had a flare for small-scale picturesque and romantic designs. Greystone Castle fits somewhere in the range of variations in the Tudor architectural style, with strong English Country Cottage influence, although a dominant features is the large multi-pane Gothic-arched front window.
J. Clarence Kind House
The house was built by Reno architects Russell Mills and Edward Parsons, both of whom worked for the Home Owners Loan Corporation (HOLC) at the time. The residence was based on design by an architect named Foster from the Midwest. The Kinds saw a picture of the home in magazine, and asked Mills to duplicate the house for them, reversing the floor plan to fit their lot. The house fits somewhere in the range of variation of homes built in the Period Revival/Tudor Style, influenced strongly by Cotswold Cottage, a subtype of the Tudor Revival House Style. Tudor Revival features of the house include false-timbering, a steeply pitched roof, and small window panes, while specifically Cotswold region of southwestern England since the Medieval period (Architecture 2005). It gained popularity in the United States in the 1920s and 1930s. The house was sold to William Forman and his wife Corrine Newkam in 1941.
Landrum’s Hamburger System No.1
Located on the main street of Reno, Nevada, Landrum’s Hamburger System No.1 is situated on a tiny triangular lot at 1300 South Virginia Street. It was intended to have been the first in a chain of hamburger restaurants. Manufactured by Valentine Manufacturing, Inc. of Wichita, Kansas, this Art Moderne-influenced diner was shipped to Reno via flat car and assembled at its current location in 1947. Valentine’s smallest model of sandwich shop was called the Little Chef and was designed to accommodate from 6 to 10 customers. The restaurant was described as, “…absolutely the most fool proof operation in the world. The only thing the customer had to do was run the foundation and hook up the electricity, gas, and sewer” (Tanner 1994). Valentine’s design was intended to allow a single operator to make a reasonable living from one unit (Gutman 1993).
The McCarthy/Platt House
The McCarthy/Platt House is an excellent example of Colonial Revival Architecture derived from the restrained Classical Style. Built around the turn-of the century, the main style elements result from a major renovations by architect Frederic Delongchamps, which was undertaken in 1925 for owner Charles H. McCarthy. The residence is associated with McCarthy and with prominent Nevadan, Samuel Platt, US District Attorney for Nevada 1906-14. The building is in a good condition.
The Miller-Rowe/Holgate House
The Miller-Rowe/Holgate House was built between 1902 and 1903 on Lot 8, Block W of the Powning Addition to Reno, Nevada. The two story building is in a simplified Colonial Revival architectural style. It is rectangular in plan with a concrete foundation and a front gable roof. A brick chimney is attached at the rear. The building’s front façade has a projecting two-story bay addition to the north of the front door and an attached front porch. The porch is supported by square posts and covered with plain wood lattice. The second story of the porch acts as an open air balcony with decorative wood railing. The front door is wood paneled with three long rectangular lights. The exterior walls are stretcher bond brick veneer with decorative soldier course flat arches above the windows.
The property at 11220 North Virginia Street, Reno, Nevada, represents the last remains of a once vast ranch, known as Peavine Ranch, developed by cattle rancher Fielding Lemmon. It was then owned by Henry Anderson who made a name in the sheep business, and whose son subdivided the majority of the ranch’s acreage, and finally owned by Charles and Rosemarie Hixson. The buildings include the residence, a cottage with an attached stone cool house, a blacksmith shop, a summer kitchen, and the turbine house.
The Rainier Brewing Company Bottling Plant
The Rainier Bottling Works was built in 1905 on Spokane Street in Reno north of the Southern Pacific Railroad main line. The building is brick, graduated in height from a two-story front section to a low storage shed at the rear. The main section of the building is rectangular, approximately 35 by 70 feet. The two story section forms the front half of the building. This portion was originally used for offices and cold storage. The upper floor was used as living quarters, originally for the manager and later for a night watchman. The building is brick, laid in running bond with a soldier-course. Segmental arches span the window and door openings. There is a stringcourse beneath the window on each floor. This detail is repeated several times on the second floor, producing a banded effect. The flat roof is edged with a low parapet accented with corbelling. There is a two-story brick chimney on the north side of the structure.
Veteran’s Memorial School
The Veteran’s Memorial School, designed by Reno architect Russell Mills, was completed in 1949. The building contains elements of both the Art Deco and Modern styles, popular in the 1940s. The structure has always been used as a school, and is in very good condition. The School, on a rectangular lot, is broader by Wonder Street to the north, Kirman Street to the east, Vassar Street to the South, and Locust Street to the west. The main elevation faces west. The neighborhood consists of residential buildings.
Steamboat Hot Springs
Steamboat Hot Springs is located in Steamboat Valley, South of Reno, Nevada. The property, which encompasses 3.83 acres, is currently operated as a health spa by the International Community of Christ. Known as Steamboat Villa Hot Springs Spa today, the area has long been the site of health resort tapping the highly mineralized waters of the geothermal springs that lie beneath the ground surface. The first resort at Steamboat Hot Springs was built in 1861, and with the exception of surface. The first resort at Steamboat Hot Springs was built in 1861, and with the exception of several years at the turn of century, steam and mineral baths have been offered there continuously.
This residence while not particularly historic or architecturally significant is important in a housing development context. Little is known of the builder and designer but this adaptation of a California Bungalow into a Rusticated Concrete Block house forms a prototype for other structures built in this style and materials. The structure was acquired by the present owner in 1977.
The property was annexed to the City of Reno as the Meadow View Addition on December 11, 1906. It was owned by Chas. H. Burke at the time of subdivision and annexation. Mr. Burke was a well known property developer in the Reno area at the time. Mr. Burke sold the property in March of 1907 to W.R.Gilbert, a Reno Realtor. He sold the property in June of 1907 to Mabel H. Philbrick, who in turn sold the property in December of 1908 to the Washoe County Bank.
Built by Henry Anderson, born in Denmark in 1852, and moved to United States (1872) Reno (1873). He became successful sheep rancher owning ranches in Elko, Eureka and Landor counties. He was also a stockholder and Director of the Nevada Bank. In 1892, he married B. Kirstine Jenson of Reno. Mr. Anderson sold the building to John Orr, an attorney who moved from Klamath Falls to Reno in 1901. From 1906-1910 he was one of the judges with the Second Judicial District .Orr was a member of the Orr Ditch family who owned houses in the 300 block of Ralston Street.
Safeway Store Building
The commercial building at 440-490 North Virginia Street was built ca.1931. It sits on the southeast corner of Fifth and Virginia Street on Assessor’s Parcel Number 07-295-09. It is being referred to here as the Safeway Store, as Safeway was the first tenant in the corner unit of the building. This downtown parcel is now in the heart of Reno’s casino district, but when the building was constructed the area was undergoing transition from a predominantly residential neighborhood to a commercial one. The three unit commercial building faces Virginia Street, with the corner unit accessible from both Virginia Street and Fifth Street. Each of the three units has a freight entrance on the unnamed alley behind.
This residence may have been built by builder J.E. Cowell, a contractor living here in 1907, according to city records. If so, this residence with its imaginative use of brick in the front porch columns and second floor bays, would have served as a showcase of his building skills. The Landon house is larger and more elaborate than the contemporary neighboring residences.
I.O.O.F. Lodge/Bank Building
I.O.O.F. Lodge sits on the southwest corner of Virginia and Second Street in downtown Reno. The lodge and bank building was built in 1876, but it has undergone several alterations over the years that have radically changed its appearance. It is for this loss of integrity that the building was judged not eligible for the National Register of Historic Places in the 1980s. For its important historical associations, however, the building is eligible for the State Register of Historic Places. The building was originally Italianate in style with a deeply projecting cornice, large curved brackets, and round arch window hood molds. Quoins framed the cutaway corner bay and cast-iron pilasters divided the first floor storefronts.