All City of Reno forms necessary in applying for a business license may be downloaded from the menu on the left, picked up from the Business License Division office, or received by mail (call us to request).
Most fees will be collected when the application is submitted; additional fees that arise through the inspection process must be paid before a license or permit will be issued. All accounts with the City must be kept current. Delinquent City accounts can lead to revocation of your business license.
To speed up the time it takes to approve your business license application, we recommend contacting the following agencies to make sure your business is ready to license before submitting your application. Additional inspections that protect public and patron safety may be required by these departments that can add time and cost to opening your business.
- Call or visit the Building Department if your business is of a different type than the prior business in the property, or if you are making any construction changes to the space. Call 775-334-2063 or visit City Hall, 1 East First Street, 2nd Floor.
- Call the Fire Department if your business will be occupied by several people at one time or if your business uses fire/pyrotechnics. Call 334-2300 or visit City Hall, 1 East First Street, 4th Floor.
- Call Environmental Control if your business might produce hazardous waste that can damage sewer and storm drain systems (i.e. auto repair, manufacturing, restaurant, painting). To watch an informational video about environmental control, please click here. Call 775-334-2350 or visit City Hall, 1 East First Street, 7th Floor.
- Call or visit the Washoe County Health Department if you are going to be serving or selling food to the public. Call 775-328-2434 or visit 1001 E. 9th Street, Reno, NV.
Business License Division Contact Information
Reno City Hall
Business License Division
PO Box 1900
Reno, NV 89505
Reno City Hall
1 East First Street
Reno, NV 89501
Days and Hours of Operation
Monday - Friday
8:00 am - 5:00 pm
Before your City of Reno business license is issued, the following clearances and approvals are required. Items 1 through 4 MUST accompany your application. Items 4 through 10 MUST be obtained before you commence business and the license is issued.
- Proof of State Business License All applicants are required to register at Nevada Secretary of State. We cannot process applications unless State Business License are included. Located at 202 N. Carson St., Carson City, Nevada. Filing is available online or in person. For additional information, call 775-684-5708.
- Proof of Taxation Registration All applicants will need to provide proof of registration from the Nevada Department of Taxation. Located at 4600 Kietzke Lane, Bldg L, Suite 235, Reno, Nevada. You can register online or in person. For additional information, call 866-962-3707.
- Proof of Industrial Insurance All applicants will need to provide proof of appropriate worker's comp. insurance. You can register online or submit the form in with your business license application. If you have employees, you will need the insurance policy number and expiration date of your policy. For additional information, call the Industrial Insurance Regulation Section at 775-684-7270.
- Proof of Fictitious Name Registration Located at 1001 East Ninth Street, Building A, Reno, Nevada. Filing is available online or in person. If you are using a business name other than your first and last name, you must file that name with the Washoe County Clerk's Office. This is not necessary if your business is a Corporation, LLC, etc. and has been registered with the Secretary of State. If you are going to use a business name other than your Corporate name, or a DBA (Doing Business As) that must also be filed as a fictitious firm name. For additional information, call 775-784-7287.
- Zoning approval by the City Planning Department.
- Inspection and approval by the Fire Department. (All commercial locations must be inspected. Inspection fees are due before a license can be issued.)
- Permit from the Department of Building & Safety may be required for signage. Please be aware that approvals cannot start until all outstanding building permits are completed and closed. Call 775-334-2063 for information.
- Washoe County Health Department for those establishments offering any food or drink products to be sold for human consumption. Call 775-328-2400 for information.
- A State Certificate is required for employment agencies and banking/lending companies requiring State registration. Call 775-687-4850 for information.
- Police Department and City Council approval on regulatory-privilege licenses.
Note: Planning Department and Fire Department approvals are coordinated by the business license staff, however the applicant is responsible for obtaining all necessary approvals.
Upon receipt of required approvals and payment of any additional inspection fees, the business license staff will issue the business license. A minimum of four weeks for a non-regulatory license should be allowed. A minimum of sixty days should be allowed for regulatory-privilege businesses requiring police and City Council approval.
Applications must comply with all pertinent codes, ordinances, laws and regulations prior to application approval. For more information, please see Nevada Revised Statutes and Reno Municipal Code websites.