A native Nevadan, Oscar was elected to office to represent Ward 3 in 2012 and was re-elected for a second term in 2016. Ward 3 extends over northeast, central and southeast Reno. The ward includes neighborhoods east of the University of Nevada, Reno, Wells Avenue, Mira Loma, and stretches south to parts of Damonte Ranch.
As a member of the Reno City Council, Oscar brings his broad base of work experience and education. His knowledge within the construction industry, health care arena, understanding of economic and community development and practice within the social service and community outreach sectors contribute to the overall effectiveness of the City. Oscar is passionate about finding solutions to our city and region by working directly and creatively with our neighborhoods, non-profit organizations, education leaders, businesses and our youth.
Oscar has lived in the Reno-Sparks area since he was four years old. He is a proud graduate of Sparks High School. Oscar received Associate degrees in Liberal Arts, Ethnic Studies and Social Science from Santa Ana College and earned a Bachelor of Arts degree in Geography from the California State University, Fullerton. Oscar also garnered dual Masters Degrees in Social Work (MSW) and Urban Planning (MUP) from the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor.
When Oscar isn’t working hard for Reno, he enjoys cooking with his wife, Sarita, playing with his twins, Samiya and Dario, spending time with family and friends, volunteering for a nonprofit, and exploring the beautiful landscapes of Northern Nevada.
- Building Enterprise Fund Advisory Committee - alternate
- Capital Projects Surcharge Advisory Subcommittee
- Economic Development Authority of Western Nevada (EDAWN)
- District Board of Health
- Regional Planning Governing Board - alternate
- Reno City Council Subcommittee on Council Rules and Regulations
- Reno Tahoe Airport Authority
- Special Events Subcommittee
- Truckee River Flood Management Authority
- Ward 3 Neighborhood Advisory Board
- Washoe County Stadium Authority
- Youth City Council
- Next City