2014 Meeting Schedule - next meeting, City of Reno Senior Citizen Advisory Committee and Washoe County Senior Services joint meeting on January 7, 2015.
The purpose of the Senior Citizen Advisory Committee (SCAC) is to advise the City Council on matters relating to senior citizens, to promote and support senior-oriented special events and collaborative efforts that meet the needs of seniors, and to serve as an advocacy body on behalf of older adults in the community.
The Committee consists of the Committee Chairperson and a maximum of eight (8) other members who are appointed by the Reno City Council, along with an ex-officio from the Washoe County Senior Services.
- Identify concerns, problems, and needs of seniors in local neighborhoods
- Establish program priorities within context of available resources
- Provide long-range program direction for comprehensive senior programs
- Help identify local resources to enhance or expand senior programs
The committee meets once a month for approximately 1.5 hours. Additionally, Senior Citizen Advisory Committee members serve on designated subcommittees.
Current Approved Agendas and Minutes
The committee supports a variety of projects through advocacy, requests for special funding and member involvement.
The Committee encourages applications for co-sponsorship by the Reno Senior Citizen Advisory Committee. For more information on how to apply, please contact Darryl Feemster, Senior Services Liaison at 334-2262 or review the following links:
Senior Citizen Advisory Committee application for sponsorship
A few of the Committee's past projects include the following:
- Senior Fest
- Reno/Tahoe Senior Summer and Winter Games
- Soap for Hope
- Center for Healthy Aging
- Older American's Month
- Sanford Center for Aging/Senior Outreach Services
- Nevada SHIP- State Health Insurance Assistance Program
- Alzheimer's Association
- Honor Flight
- Wandering Project in Washoe County, NV
- Compassion Community Clinic