Check out our Blog!
City of Reno media phone: 775-354-8780
Matthew B. Brown
Office: 775-785-5855 | Cell: 775-384-7430
Director of the Office of Communications and Community Engagement
July 16, 2014 Reno City Council Highlights
Medical Marijuana Establishments - I.1
Changes to the ordinance are as follows:
- Modifications to how on-site use is prohibited
- Revisions on how the violation of the ordinance is punishable
- Requirement for an MME to obtain an insurance and umbrella policy
- Allowing the Reno Police Chief and Reno Fire Chief to access an MME at any time
- Confidentiality of MME records provided to the health division
Outside services in labor relations has been used extensively by the City from 2002 to the present. Prior to 2002, the City had internal programs to address labor relations.
Attorney Services - J.4 & J.5
Council unanimously approved the First Amendment to the Agreement for Attorney Services with Marquis Aurbach Coffing, P.C. for labor relations, grievance, and employee discipline issues. The contract amount will not exceed $75,000 (for a contract total of $150,000 covering the period of January 2013 through June 2015).
In a 5-to-2 vote, ratification of an Amended Agreement for Attorney Services with Fisher & Phillips LLP failed. City Charter required a six-sevenths majority vote. The ratification would have paid Fisher & Phillips an additional $175,074 for overage on a past contract. The City Attorney and City Manager will discuss the matter with Fisher & Phillips representatives and bring it back to Council on August 20.
Regional Emergency Medical Services - J.6
In a 4-to-3 vote, Council approved an Interlocal Agreement between the City of Reno, City of Sparks, REMSA, Truckee Meadows Fire Protection District, Sierra Fire Protection District, Washoe County, and Washoe County Health District to establish and maintain a Regional Emergency Medical Services (EMS) Oversight Program.
The Oversight Program, in support of Council’s priorities to Provide Safe and Livable Neighborhoods and Provide Efficient and Responsive City Services, will include:
- An Advisory Board to be established under the District Board of Health to compile, analyze, evaluate, and recommend response and performance standards.
- Protocols to allow for improvement and optimization of the regional EMS system performance and ensure proper patient care.
- The analysis of response data from each of the EMS agencies and review of the regional EMS response zone map on an annual basis.
Council unanimously approved a Resolution authorizing filing of a grant application with the Nevada Department of Conservation and Natural Resources for federal Land and Water Conservation Funds for the North Valleys Recreation Partnership Project in the amount of $500,000. City of Reno staff will allocate $250,000 of its Residential Construction Tax from Park District 1 toward this project. Washoe County will use $250,000 from its water rights proceeds.
City staff is working with Washoe County Regional Parks on Phase V of North Valleys Regional Park, a County owned and maintained park. This phase will include youth athletic fields, a restroom and concession building, and certain neighborhood park features. The specific emphasis on new recreational amenities that engage youth and serve economically disadvantaged neighborhoods supports Council’s priority to Provide Safe and Livable Neighborhoods.