|The Reno Police Department Newsroom features all RPD news releases. Go to the City of Reno Newsroom if you would like to see all other news releases. Also check out the Around the Arch Blog|
Memorial Day Weekend safety in Reno
If you are traveling this weekend:
- Secure your residence and leave lights on if staying overnight somewhere.
- Let your neighbors know you are going to be out of town.
- Don’t drink and drive or travel with anyone who has been drinking.
- Wear your seatbelt at all times, and ensure your children are properly secured.
- Make sure your vehicle has been serviced before a long road trip.
- Be aware of and share the road with bicyclists and motorcycles.
- Familiarize yourself with your surroundings and know where the nearest emergency room is in case of an emergency.
If you are staying in the Reno area the temperatures are going to be reaching near 90 degrees, and we offer these additional safety tips:
- Don’t swim alone in the Truckee River.With all recent rain the current is strong.
- Wear a life vest while boating.
- Supervise children at all times in and near the water.
- Use sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher. Apply it generously throughout the day.
- Wear a hat and sunglasses.
- Drink lots of water to stay hydrated.
- If drinking downtown at a bar or club have a designated driver or friend to make sure you do not get too intoxicated.
The Reno Police Department wants to also remind everyone to remember to pay their respects to those US service men and women who have given so much so that we can enjoy the liberties we have today. Enjoy the holiday weekend with friends and family.