Seniors given opportunity to communicate with mayors, candidates and city leaders
“We’ve organized nine meetings with community leaders to let seniors find out what’s going that affects them personally,” says Donna Clontz, Chair of the Reno Senior Citizen Advisory Committee. “Seniors can meet with city leaders to ask them about senior services and programs and other pressing concerns in their daily lives.”
The nine community forum events are as follows:
- “Coffee and Comments with City of Reno Councilmember Sharon Zadra,” today from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. at Swill Coffee and Wine in Reno.
- “Meet the Mayors of Reno and Sparks,” Friday, May 9 from 1 to 2 p.m. at the Washoe County Senior Center. Seniors can and talk about current projects and programs in these cities. As seniors themselves, the mayors want to hear citizens’ concerns and viewpoints.
- A Candidate Forum of those running for Washoe County, state and federal offices is scheduled for Tuesday, May 13, at the Washoe County Senior Center from 10 to 11:15 a.m. Voters have an opportunity to discover candidates’ views with special emphasis on senior programs and concerns.
- “Senior Safety Afternoon at Paradise Park,” Tuesday, May 13 from 1 to 5 p.m. at Teglia’s Paradise Park Activity Center. Keynote speakers Pitts and Hernandez will present safety and crime prevention tips and emergency preparedness information. REMSA, The Continuum, Washoe County Sheriff’s Office senior outreach programs, Crisis Call Center, and the City of Reno Police and Fire Departments will also participate in an information fair during the event.
- Reno City Councilmember Oscar Delgado invites seniors to join him for an informative talk about what’s happening in The Biggest Little City in the World on Thursday, May 15 from 2 to 4 p.m. at Neil Road Recreation Center in Reno. Spanish speakers are welcome as Delgado will deliver his remarks in English and Spanish.
- “Forum for Reno Mayor and Reno City Council Candidates,” Friday, May 16 from 1 to 3 p.m. at Neil Road Recreation Center. Seniors are invited to hear the candidates’ positions on important issues, with an emphasis on senior programs and projects.
- “Senior Community Meeting with City of Reno Councilmember Jenny Brekhus,” Friday, May 23, from 10 to 11 a.m. at Neil Road Recreation Center. Brekhus will focus on senior programs, projects and concerns and welcomes seniors’ views and questions.
- “City of Sparks Candidate Forum,” on Tuesday, May 27 from 10 to 11:15 AM at the Sparks Senior Center. This is a Q&A session with all the Sparks primary candidates with special emphasis on senior issues.
- “Senior Community Meeting with City of Reno Councilmember Neoma Jardon,” on Thursday, May 29. This is an informal discussion about current City of Reno topics and a chance for seniors to express their concerns and viewpoints.
Older Americans Month booklets, which include event details, are available at area senior centers and libraries and online at Reno.gov/Seniors. For more information, call 657-4644.