Check out our Blog!
City of Reno media phone: 775-354-8780
Matthew B. Brown
Office: 775-785-5855 | Cell: 775-384-7430
Director of the Office of Communications and Community Engagement
Seniors celebrate 50th anniversary of Older Americans Month
- At the April 30 Reno City Council meeting at City Hall, there will be a proclamation declaring the month of May 2014 as Older Americans Month.
- Opening Ceremonies are May 1 at the Washoe County Senior Services Center in Reno from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. More than 30 booths will provide program and service information, and a free lunch will be provided.
- On Tuesday, May 13 from 1 to 4 p.m., Reno Fire Chief Mike Hernandez and Reno Police Chief Steve Pitts will present a Senior Safety Afternoon at Teglia’s Paradise Park Activity Center. The event will cover safety and crime-prevention tips and emergency preparedness. Seniors will also be able to sign up for free smoke alarms, which the Reno Fire Department will install free of charge.
“When we looked at ways to reduce our community’s risk of injury, we saw that seniors often had no smoke detectors and were not aware of basic tips to prevent accidental fires at home,” Hernandez says. “Because of our concern for seniors’ safety, we received a FEMA fire-prevention and safety grant to provide free residential smoke alarms, including ADA-compliant smoke alarms for the hearing impaired.”
- On May 28, there will be a Senior Day at Aces Ballpark, home of the Reno Aces baseball team.
- Closing Ceremonies are May 31 at Neil Road Recreation Center in Reno from 11:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. There will be a free picnic in the park, recreational activities and raffle prizes.